How do you guys manage to find/form a worthwile study partner/group?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennis Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I agree that group studying or studying with another person should only be done for reviewing the material once everyone has studied it on their own. However, how do you guys manage to find/form a reliable, studious, and serious study partner/group that lasts with those that are doing well in the class? I always have trouble accomplishing this task because my fellow classmates seem to be so lazy and say they want to meet up to but never fall through with it lol... :rolleyes:. Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
BUMP... sorry, if I asked this question in a prior thread that I made. I just didn't get a good enough answer to this specific question. Thank you all for your time and patience!!! :)

Ok, so I agree that group studying or studying with another person should only be done for reviewing the material once everyone has studied it on their own. However, how do you guys manage to find/form a reliable, studious, and serious study partner/group that lasts with those that are doing well in the class? I always have trouble accomplishing this task because my fellow classmates seem to be so lazy and say they want to meet up to but never fall through with it lol... :rolleyes:. Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated! :)

Maybe you can make friends with people who are on campus a lot, in your class, and like to study with people. I havent done yet so i dont know if that will work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pay attention to the people who ask intelligent questions in class, the ones who are taking notes and the ones who do well on the first quiz or two. Assuming you are able to make friends with strangers (protip: try saying hi), strike up a conversation with a few of them and go from there.

I study with a man called Salman Khan :p I find studying alone helps me. Others might be different though.

I don't like study groups, I get better grades if I study on my own because there are less distractions.

People who you aren't friends with; otherwise, you'll just get distracted. Choose someone with no personality if you can.

If you have like a regular weekly meeting with a few (or more) other classmates to touch base on the new material covered that week (strict requirement to stay up-to-date) and go over questions on the new stuff, I think that'd be a really wise use of your time.

Yea, I can generally find someone that looks like they are doing well in the class, however it seems that many students say they want to meet up, but end up cancelling last minute/backing out. I don't know, if they really wanted to meet up in the first place...:( I'm trying to make sure that I find someone reliable to study with, which isn't always easy to find lol...

People who you aren't friends with; otherwise, you'll just get distracted. Choose someone with no personality if you can.

Hahaha. This is probably true.

I would pick the nerdiest introvert possible who wouldn't get on my nerves.

Also, I'm kind of facing a similar situation because I'm taking a summer class at a local university where everyone's like "**** this ****" and it's kind of cool to not be studious. There are a couple of older students who realize the value of education (God, I sound like my parents-- already?), and I think I'm going to prey on them.

1. Don't study with friends.
2. Don't make a group with 5 or more people.
3. You can learn material a lot better by explaining it to others and voicing it in your own words.

Honestly, I don't find studying in groups to be helpful. I do best by paying very close attention in lecture, taking detailed notes in class and from the text, and doing practice questions and whatnot. I also make sure I try and find people who've taken the class before to see if they can give hints about how to best do well in the class.

Does you school have a Pre-med club? That's who my study partners are. Even if they are not in the same class, they can still listen to you as you explain concepts or if they have already taken the class they can help you out.

If her cup size is lower than her GPA you're good to go.

Sent out a mass email with a link to a FB page. Thats where the interested started and slowly picking up... but my classmates are lame.

It's spelled misogynist, think your SN is missing a few letters.

I'm pretty sure what I expressed is the opposite of misogyny. I'm also putting brains above brawn, and who doesn't appreciate well fed, healthy babies.

Pay attention to the people who ask intelligent questions in class, the ones who are taking notes and the ones who do well on the first quiz or two. Assuming you are able to make friends with strangers (protip: try saying hi), strike up a conversation with a few of them and go from there.

:laugh:

Lol... ha ha. Yea, I will definitely start out by saying hi. The ones, who sit up front, look like they are up to date/involved with the class, and ask questions are generally the most studious, so I will definitely ask them.