How do you guys organize all the cancers/tumors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axeon123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In FA and Goljan, they each give a list of the cancers in each system, which to me looks so similar together. There are obviously facts that differentiate each one from another, but I wanted to ask if anyone has good strategies to help remember them and keep them separate. Or is this something you just have to sit down and take time and memorize all the details? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

listen to Goljan and see what he says are the important ones and memorize those first, especially if there is a specific point he says to know about them. They usually ask the one of the most common types and there is usually one or two important pearls to know about them. Ex. for AML they usually only ask about M3 (promyelocytic) and they want you to know that it can be treated with retinoic acid or something like that (hopefully that is right haha). Anyways I find it very confusing and hard to study for too so I feel you on this, but if you know what goljan says to know you will be fine b/c the odds of getting some random rare cancer with no easily distinguishable features on your test are really low.

listen to Goljan and see what he says are the important ones and memorize those first, especially if there is a specific point he says to know about them. They usually ask the one of the most common types and there is usually one or two important pearls to know about them. Ex. for AML they usually only ask about M3 (promyelocytic) and they want you to know that it can be treated with retinoic acid or something like that (hopefully that is right haha). Anyways I find it very confusing and hard to study for too so I feel you on this, but if you know what goljan says to know you will be fine b/c the odds of getting some random rare cancer with no easily distinguishable features on your test are really low.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Maybe I'm just trying to remember all the little details that Goljan throws in, and this is impossible. Is it better to read through one disorder to learn about it, then focus on the margin notes? Some questions I worked on asked things straight out of the margin notes here.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Maybe I'm just trying to remember all the little details that Goljan throws in, and this is impossible. Is it better to read through one disorder to learn about it, then focus on the margin notes? Some questions I worked on asked things straight out of the margin notes here.

I agree with the post above, it's imperative to get the core HY facts straight, you miss a question or two on this and trust me you suffer a blow.

It's best to go through goljan cover to cover atleast once, I would ideally recommend a 2nd quick run through later closer to the date to drill the nitty gritty facts.

Those margin notes can be assimilated only after you understand what he says in the notes.So make those margins suffice only for a last minute review.

At the end of the day, skim through the audio notes once too.There are audio transcripts floating around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been getting a bit discouraged going through Goljan the past two weeks, sorta going through it system by system with physiology and anatomy. But it feels like so much stuff. I'm tempted to finish the rest of the systems with BRS, but I will try and stick it with Goljan...I just hope it'll help me in the end. I've been doing questions from USMLEworld and Robbins Path, not too wonderful so far.

I can very much identify with what you are going through, ditto here.Goljan is not for relentless reading.I tried that and kinda got sick of the heavy facts thrown on your face kinda approach ,so this is what I am doing now.

I am giving a complete review of each organ system with corresponding Goljan audio notes, RR, BRS Physio and last FA.This way you have some 'variety' with yr books used and it does not hurt your eyes as much as days on end of goljan can do.

I still feel like I know nothing and there have been times when I have questioned my good school scores and comprehensive tests.But ultimately I realize the usmle is not about being a smart a**, rather for a swift runner who can continue runnin'

Hold on pal

Go through the Neoplasia section in Rapid Review first. This chapter introduces you to some characteristic features of certain tumors, such as paraneoplastic syndromes. When you get to the organ systems, learning the tumors will be so much easier. Focus on the very important characterizing features of each tumor.

For example, Lung tumors:
Adenocarcinoma (more common in women)
Squamous cell carcinoma: may secrete PTH-related protein
Small cell carcinoma: may secrete ADH or ACTH.

Other Tumors may be harder than this, but always focus on memorizing what makes each tumor unique.

For CNS tumors, check out Figure 5-3 in HY neuroanatomy pg. 52 (3rd edition). Its basically a diagram showing you the most common site of each CNS tumor and some characteristic features of each.

I'll try to post other organ system tumors when I get to them.

Thanks for the tips, IMGUSMLEStep1. I wish I had more time to study O_O

I did read the neoplasia chapter in Goljan and in Robbins, guess it did not stick with me. I am going through the tumor sections in Robbins, because they also have useful tables (at least for bone that I'm going over right now), so I think I'm going to have to organize and make my own tables, too, and like you suggested find the details that make each tumor different from the rest. Too bad they all have similar names, haha.

Oh, I also wanted to ask do you recommend HY neuroanatomy for CNS? I was planning to watch Kaplan videos + their lecture notes for neuroanatomy. Not sure who teaches it, but the guy who taught general anatomy was awesome, wish that was how they taught us in anatomy class! But I'm wondering if it's better to get the HY book.

I still feel like I know nothing and there have been times when I have questioned my good school scores and comprehensive tests.But ultimately I realize the usmle is not about being a smart a**, rather for a swift runner who can continue runnin'

Hold on pal

I didn't do too hot in class, either. =| What would have really helped was if they actually explain *why* and *how* because the darn lecturers all give us a disease, then give a list of 50 symptoms and say balh blah blah you get this and that. Then onto the next disease. :scared:

I did read the neoplasia chapter in Goljan and in Robbins, guess it did not stick with me. I am going through the tumor sections in Robbins, because they also have useful tables (at least for bone that I'm going over right now), so I think I'm going to have to organize and make my own tables, too, and like you suggested find the details that make each tumor different from the rest. Too bad they all have similar names, haha.

Oh, I also wanted to ask do you recommend HY neuroanatomy for CNS? I was planning to watch Kaplan videos + their lecture notes for neuroanatomy. Not sure who teaches it, but the guy who taught general anatomy was awesome, wish that was how they taught us in anatomy class! But I'm wondering if it's better to get the HY book.
I used the Kaplan notes and videos for neuroanatomy. The videos are great. I honestly liked HY Neuro more than Kaplan because it has better images and diagrams. However, sometimes HY Neuro is too detailed. I would still recommend it over the Kaplan notes.

something that works for me which is quite odd for most people is using my iphone to record what i organised in tables like tumors and other stuff, i put on the earphones when i am in the gym or cooking, or in the toilet, and even while asleep, and after a few days of that, i memorize every little detail. I did this for the first time coz i thought if i can memorize a song after listening to it twice or three times, i can do this for tumors. It is not attentive listening, it is passive but our human brains pick up these little discontinuous info and somehow digest them fast, i do not know why, like attending lectures and not paying attention,n still remembering some of the stuff the professor said afterwards. Good luck.