how do you guys review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon stewart

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys review by making flashcards and writing notes in a notebook or do you guys type it up in the computer?

I have been reviewing by both methods but i find that it takes me a lot longer to write everything out than type it. I hear that writing leads to better retention.

Writing out some of those BR explanations take a long time, I find for every hour or so of practice material i take it takes about 2 or so hours to review it by writing

Advice please?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys review by making flashcards and writing notes in a notebook or do you guys type it up in the computer?

I have been reviewing by both methods but i find that it takes me a lot longer to write everything out than type it. I hear that writing leads to better retention.

Writing out some of those BR explanations take a long time, I find for every hour or so of practice material i take it takes about 2 or so hours to review it by writing

Advice please?

I have a a binder with every subject listed. When I take a phase of TBR I make a new sheet of paper with my answers and score. When I review I do so on this page. I read most of the answer explanations but I never record the entire explanation. I try to diagram the big picture and often use other sources like wiki or khan academy to get the big picture down. TBR has some detailed questions that require very specific knowledge. I usually just read this explanation then move on without writing it down as long as I have the main ideas down. Each phase, roughly 35 q's, takes me about an hour to review if I struggled and as little as 10 min if I really have a good grip on the subject.

Unless that method is working for you, I'd try to come up with something more efficient. I highlighted important concepts/passages so that when I came back to review the material the next day I would focus on the important details. I also made notes in the margins of the pages when necessary.

Flashcards and rewriting notes may work well, but it's so time-intensive that I don't know if there's actually a payoff.

Unless that method is working for you, I'd try to come up with something more efficient. I highlighted important concepts/passages so that when I came back to review the material the next day I would focus on the important details. I also made notes in the margins of the pages when necessary.

Flashcards and rewriting notes may work well, but it's so time-intensive that I don't know if there's actually a payoff.

Yes that is the best. Also, I made my own notes from things i wasn't sure of/wanted to go through again (since I didn't want to write in my books) so then you can just highlight/take notes on your notes so you dont have to go back to the book!

only had flashcards for orgo rxns, nothing else really.