How do you guys study for verbal reasoning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voisinator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need to bring up my verbal reasoning score up a few points. I have EK 101 and tpr hyperlearning workbook. I have been doing 4-5 verbal passages a day. Usually I do one or two individually without timing myself to learn my way of reasoning and make sure I get the questions right. Then on the next two i I I time myself. Should I do complete verbal tests for practice or is it fine to work through the passages individually? What has worked for you guys to bring your verbal score up? Any other hints?

Members don't see this ad.

I've found EK verbal to be pretty unhelpful- there are frequently errors and the passages/questions just aren't designed the same way as the real mcat (EK is much more abstract/convoluted).
Not that I am a verbal expert or anything, but I was able to get my verbal score up from 8's to 10's consistently. I used Kaplan- they have helpful information about passage mapping BUT what ultimately made this jump for me was actually trying to read the passage in 60-90 seconds and spend more time with questions. This way, you'll have more time to zero in on the parts of the passage that matter to the question.

I use EK 101 and just do the passages. 3/day.

I summarize my passages right before beginning questions, that usually helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
EK 101 is okay I think, just don't pay any mind to the passage after test 10 because the author ran out of interesting ones(Test 13 has 3 passages on wood, 2 of them are back to back I swear I almost died)

Just lots of practice. Unfortunately many people say that verbal is the hardest section to improve :(

EK 101 is okay I think, just don't pay any mind to the passage after test 10 because the author ran out of interesting ones(Test 13 has 3 passages on wood, 2 of them are back to back I swear I almost died)

Just lots of practice. Unfortunately many people say that verbal is the hardest section to improve :(

I was always good at verbal, so the only practice I did was on the AAMC practice tests themselves, assorted passages in the AAMC "Official Guide to the MCAT", and the passages in the EK 30 minute exams.

I've gotta concur with coyotelime. Standardized tests in verbal are most likely something one is either good at or not.

Another question; for those of you that have difficulty with verbal, is English your first language? That may be part of the issue.