How do you guys work around gown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HLxDrummer

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel like working around clothes/gown takes so much time and I'm not quite sure how to do it.

For example, when you are percussing the lungs, do you untie the back for them? Have them untie/retie it? Etc.

Also what do you do to auscultate the heart with a gown? Aortic, pulmonic, and tricuspid through the top and reach from the side to do mitral? I feel like that is a pain because they always end up sitting on the gown so I can't reach from the side easily.

If you have any tips for clothing, that would be appreciated as well!
 
I feel like working around clothes/gown takes so much time and I'm not quite sure how to do it.

For example, when you are percussing the lungs, do you untie the back for them? Have them untie/retie it? Etc.

Also what do you do to auscultate the heart with a gown? Aortic, pulmonic, and tricuspid through the top and reach from the side to do mitral? I feel like that is a pain because they always end up sitting on the gown so I can't reach from the side easily.

If you have any tips for clothing, that would be appreciated as well!
3rd year problems.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Percussion: x-ray: chest, 2 view. RE: cough, fever.
Heart sounds: I go from the top for aortic, pulm, and tricuspid. (side note: for OSCEs, I ask them to drop the top of the gown, grab heart and anterior lung sounds, and then have them regown. OSCEs =/= real life).