How do you like Israel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

all41

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all the American students from BGU and Sackler: why being in Israel is sometimes a pain? can you detail how do you feel there?

Members don't see this ad.

I like it here. After being in the country for almost 3 years, I'm ready to move on, but not because I miss the US. I have a feel for the Middle East that I think most Americans don't. No regrets.

Things that are a "pain" here:

*Its hot here. (This is subjective; I hate heat, 75 degrees is hot to me, but summer starts around April 15 and goes till about Nov 1. My Cali desert classmates say its the same as home. My home is drizzly, cool Seattle!)
*My fiance doesn't live here
*The first impression of the Israeli "sabras" (a catcus fruit that is prickly on the outside and sweet and juicy inside)

Things that are good here:

*the second impression of the Israelis' sweet side
*food, especially really great fruits and veggies, is cheap
*cheap tickets to really cool break-time destinations: Europe, Jordan, cheaper than the US to the Far East
*learning skills I'd never learn in a US school, mostly how to work with different cultures, be outisde my own boxed-in little world

Members don't see this ad :)
No worries, the important labs/areas all have air conditioning I'm sure.

tzalli said:
No worries, the important labs/areas all have air conditioning I'm sure.

That's a funny signature. :D

I go to israel and egypt and jordan 4 times a year since 1985-it is a great place to live and study medicine.

why dont you take a vacation since i graduated medical school in 1985 israel has gone from a third world country to the equivalent of the USA in consumer goods and terchnology.

I love the heat and its great to be on the med sea and be able to go sailing-as for getting cool just go to Mt.hermon and ski then go to tel aviv and swimm

Hey wait, american students in Israel. Sorry, I'm an outsider. But this is so cool. Can I ask a stupid question? Do you have to speak hebrew or arabic to go to your schools? How many languages must you be fluent in?
And can you come back here for residency and boards?

susannaQ said:
Can I ask a stupid question?

yes.

susannaQ said:
Do you have to speak hebrew or arabic to go to your schools?

No.

susannaQ said:
How many languages must you be fluent in?

Only English, but Hebrew will really help, particularly in dealing with the locals, who are NOT all fluent in English (other ideas: Russian, Ethiopian, Arabic).

susannaQ said:
And can you come back here for residency and boards?

The programs for Americans require it.

I just got back from Israel and kindof regret not going to Sackler. That place is awsome.

I love Israel. Its gorgeous, great climate, so much to do and see. Easy travelling to the rest of the world, a laid back lifestyle and an adventure through and through.

Pains:

-learning Hebrew. If you don't know Hebrew your first little while here is difficult. Learning another language on top of medical school can be fun, but it is often a pain.
-airport security (if you're not Jewish) Basically if you're not Jewish be prepared to take walk through metal detectors in your underwear, have your laptop taken apart and enjoy up to 1-1.5 hours of interrogation every time you leave the country. Don't worry...thats the worst of it. Sometimes they clear you through with a simple X-ray of your luggage, but be prepared for more.
-being far away from home. No matter what, Israel is far from most of North America and you just won't be able to go home very often. Plus, with the time change and language you will find you need a lot of time to adjust to your new surroundings.

Thats about it. If you like to put yourself outside of your element and enjoy venturing outside of your predictable zone, Israel is a great place to come to medical school.

Don't worry about safety...according to actual statistics you'd be safer here than in the US.

Hi Everyone. Thanks for your helpful posts. I just got an interview for Sackler and would like to know if anyone remembers their interview experience. I have never been to Israel and am not jewish, however, I did live in Europe for many years and am bicultural, bilingual. Can anyone give me some pointers on what I should mention in my interview?

I've heard that Israeli med schools can be very racist towards people of Islamic Backgrounds.

The assertion that Israeli Medical Schools are racist to those with Islamic backgrounds is simply not true in my Experience. I have a classmate who is practicing Muslim at BGU and past students at BGU include Palestinian Americans.

The administration is very supportive and welcoming to all. Even Israeli students are very open and hospitable.

Ratan1982 said:
I've heard that Israeli med schools can be very racist towards people of Islamic Backgrounds.

I cant speak for Sackler, but Tel-Aviv U, where Sackler is located has a large contingent of Arab/Muslim students. Very large in fact.