how do you motivate yourself somtimes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocknightmare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my first semster i was all movtivated and studying all the time and ready to roll for school. now i am becoming lazy and not studying until the last minute and not really focused -- the loss of motivation. i am usually more motivated during my spring semster but i am not sure what is happening.. but i haven't not been able to function b4 3-4pm on any of the previous 6 weekends

i think my main worry is around july this year.. --- boards.. i am not really studying for them right now but they are always on the back of my mind.. kind of nervous i guess

Members don't see this ad.

I take one look at my son, and then at my wife's pregnant belly.

Then I look at my student loan statements and think, "Oh s***!"

Hope that helps! :)

Edit: Okay, seriously, I've found that one of the best ways to motivate myself when I just don't feel like studying is this: Grab a kitchen timer and set it for 30 minutes. I tell myself that I can handle a measly 30 minutes, and I promise myself that I'll enjoy some guilt-free play after I'm done. So, I'll study for just half an hour, and then I'll play video games or whatever afterwards, and feel like I've earned it.

Taking it in half-hour chunks helps me get stuff done, even with play time in between. For me it's a win-win situation: rather than playing video games or surfing SDN for 4 hours straight and then feeling guilty and thinking, "Why in the hell did I just waste 4 hours on the internet instead of studying?", I get some studying done and I get to enjoy my off time more because I feel like I've earned it. When I first started doing this, I was especially surprised by how much I could get done in just 30 minutes when I really focused.

dude its all about balance, try and find something that you enjoy so that when you do have to study you will haqve something to look forward to when the hell is over. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
well I just gave up going to class and reviewing on a daily basis so when the weekend before the exam comes I have the OH **** WHAT CLASS DO WE HAVE A TEST IN moment.... pure motivation right there.

Typo is right on.... think of your family or future family
think of the speciality you may like... they look at grades

And i must admit, I messed up too...
In anatomy.. why study disections, I did not know I would do over 100 autiopsies going into oral path and oral medicine..
Dating.. well a wild time away from the parents..
Then my younger brother took sick in my sophmore year with cancer, and died in my junior year (1970)... it gave me a new insight... life is short, make the most of each day. Helping through this time at Penn was Dr. Burket the dean (one reason I want into Oral Medicine) and many others (why i said in eduction).. Now dentistry is not work... its a love.
I hope I instilled this in atleast a few students/residents... and proud I train students that went on to be associate deans, deans, and many on school faculty... guess they all wanted to prove they were smarter that me<g>...

Good luck.. remember the goal.. be the best you can for you and you family.. and to help others