How do you pay bills during school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellowmarshall

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current situation: Temporary living, soon to run out. Starting junior year in college this fall. I have typical bills (car/insurance/cell) and soon to add housing and all the costs associated with that. How did everyone pay/is paying for undergrad school? Live at home? Scholarships? I have the scholarships but part-time work won't be enough to cover my bills, which I estimate to about 1000/month. After considering gas, clothes, haircuts, food, and any other unexpected expenses, I'd have to make somewhere around 1400/month just to scrape by. Does anyone have experience in this situation? Am I going to have to get loans? I have less than perfect credit, but I am putting a lot of effort into repairing it.

TIA,
Me

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
mellowmarshall said:
Current situation: Temporary living, soon to run out. Starting junior year in college this fall. I have typical bills (car/insurance/cell) and soon to add housing and all the costs associated with that. How did everyone pay/is paying for undergrad school? Live at home? Scholarships? I have the scholarships but part-time work won't be enough to cover my bills, which I estimate to about 1000/month. After considering gas, clothes, haircuts, food, and any other unexpected expenses, I'd have to make somewhere around 1400/month just to scrape by. Does anyone have experience in this situation? Am I going to have to get loans? I have less than perfect credit, but I am putting a lot of effort into repairing it.

TIA,
Me

I went to a private undergraduate school:

-Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
-College Access Loan (Texas)
-Academic Scholarship
-PLUS (Parent Loan) --> for summer school

OSUdoc, did you consolidate your CAL loan? If so, with who and how?

UserNameNeeded said:
OSUdoc, did you consolidate your CAL loan? If so, with who and how?

Nope. You can't consolidate your CAL loan.

I basically have a T.H.E. consolidation with all of my Sub/Unsub Stafford loans, and then I have the Perkins and CAL seperate.