How do you pay for post bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needtobeadoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone.
I have recently become interested in pursuing a career as a doctor. I'd like to specialize in pediatric neurology.

A little background info: I recently graduated with a Bachelor's of Science degree in English, so I don't have any of the prerequisites required for med school. I took Bio 1, but it has been about 4 years, so I'd like to retake that.

I have been researching non-stop and decided that I can't see myself in any career other than medicine. I have looked into nursing, nutrition, and speech pathology. All of which interest me, but I can't help but think that would be a cop out of pursuing a career I'd love. The only advantages I can come up for all of those careers is that the schooling would take less time and be less expensive. Other than those two things, I'm completely uninterested.

I am from a very small town in Maryland. There is a four year university near my parent's home, which is where I got my English degree. Unfortunately they don't have a post bac program for pre-med. I really want to do a one year post bac program, but I'm not sure how people afford it.

I currently live in Pittsburgh, and the University of Pittsburgh has some options available. However, the University of Vermont is extremely appealing to me now. It's a one year program, there are a couple of scholarships available, and it has linkages.

I am wondering how people pay for post bac education. How do you pay for tuition? How do you pay for your bills while in school? Do you work? I've been reading that working isn't a great idea while in the one year programs because it is such an intense course load.

My parents will not be helping me pay my way through school.

If anyone has any suggestions or can tell me how they paid for post bac, I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Your passion for pediatric neurology is admirable but please get through pre reqs, medical school, and rotations first before you decide. It makes you look inexperienced.

Stafford unsubsidized federal loans through fafsa. Contact tour undergrad financial aid department and request information.

Part time job for utilities, food, gas. Loans for rent, tuition.