How do you plan on celebrating your acceptance into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SexyDoctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most of you can relate to my scenario: you're working hard studying for that biochemistry test, or you're on your way to volunteer at your local hospital, and you can't help but think...what on Earth is it going to feel like once you get that acceptance e-mail or letter?

I can't help but daydream sometimes when that time for me will come..so I ask you SDN, how are you going to celebrate? How do you think you're going to react?

I'm pretty sure my day would consist of lots of tears, shouts of joys, numerous phone calls, followed by gorging on expensive not-so-healthy food items, and partying my ass off till the next morning :D

Repeat cycle for a couple of months until the feeling wears off. :p

Oh, and as a gift to myself for getting into medical school, I'm going to get rhinoplasty :thumbup:. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

I've got a Cuban cigar and a bottle of 18 yr old Scotch waiting for the day I open that first acceptance letter. Oh, and a handful of women on speed dial, but those can change between now and then~

I had a smile on my face for the longest time. I updated my FB status, got some phone calls, and went out to dinner with a few close friends. Some other friends wanted to get me drunk but I don't like drinking to the point of getting drunk or even the taste of alcohol.

I spent the next day beating Pokemon Black.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a smile on my face for the longest time. I updated my FB status, got some phone calls, and went out to dinner with a few close friends. Some other friends wanted to get me drunk but I don't like drinking to the point of getting drunk or even the taste of alcohol.

I spent the next day beating Pokemon Black.

Hahahahaha

If I get the call/email I will probably be shocked for like 5 minutes, then really excited. Then I would probably go out and celebrate with a steak dinner or something. Then I would go out for drinks because this is probably the last time where I can be completely irresponsible and not have to worry about my career.

Then I would go out for drinks because this is probably the last time where I can be completely irresponsible and not have to worry about my career.

I'm pretty sure that med students/residents/attendings are still allowed to go out for drinks :D

Have a bonfire that was started by using my MCAT books as kindling...or you know drink or something.

Reactions: 1 user
relevant-to-my-interests.jpg

I will probably celebrate by convincing my parents that an iPad or other high priced gadget that I can't purchase on my own is relevant to my interests as a future physician.

I will probably celebrate by convincing my parents that an iPad or other high priced gadget that I can't purchase on my own is relevant to my interests as a future physician.

I like that idea.

I plan on doing a whole lot of illegal $h!t. Hopefully I don't get caught and have my acceptance revoked :laugh:

No but seriously, probably just celebrate with a few close friends. If I get accepted into one of my top choices... now that's a different story (illegal $h!t)

After I got accepted I took a walk and thought about how I was going to pay for school and survive without any sort of income.

This was way overkill but my parents threw a surprise party for me on the beach with 250+ friends and family attending and they had a magic show and a ventriloquist too. (srs)

This was way overkill but my parents threw a surprise party for me on the beach with 250+ friends and family attending and they had a magic show and a ventriloquist too. (srs)

Paul... stop trolling so early in the morning!!!!

But no seriously... did they actually? Cuz that's just insane... a VENTRILOQUIST!?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyYIscifwMY[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Not trolling, 100% srs. Like I said, it was way overkill.

Got accepted a couple of days ago (Europe). After jumping around for about half an hour, calling everybody and making sure it wasn't a mistake went hardcore drinking with friends. Woke up the next afternoon feeling like a boss.

I'll be going 120 mph down I-75 naked

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if this counts as a celebration, but I would experience acute onset systemic senioritis for the entirety of the remaining school year.

I probably wouldn't do anything as far as celebration is concerned, but I would try and squeeze a new computer or cool gadget out of my parents. I know that I made a deal with my dad that if I get over a 40 on the MCAT, then he has to buy me a new car. That isn't looking so good though on my end hahaha. Maybe I can convince him for something cheaper.

I probably wouldn't do anything as far as celebration is concerned, but I would try and squeeze a new computer or cool gadget out of my parents. I know that I made a deal with my dad that if I get over a 40 on the MCAT, then he has to buy me a new car. That isn't looking so good though on my end hahaha. Maybe I can convince him for something cheaper.

:laugh:

If I end up getting 40 or above on the mcat/pcat out of the blue, I think I would need to be rushing my parents to the ER for putting them in shock. Doubt after looking at the medical bills they will be in the mood for me asking any more favors.

Bought First Aid, started to teach myself radiology, met a few attendings/faculty at my med school's associated hospital for networking purposes

Probably first call parents and gf. then go on a loooong bike ride, followed by many beers.

wow that sounds awesome, congrats

I was going to get a tattoo of my name spelled out in amino acid code. I didn't though. Being a very neurotic person, I decided I was going to flunk out and cried hysterically for like an hour. Then I bought myself an iPod touch and things generally got better from there.

My hubby and I will have our ten year anniversary the sept of starting year (hopefully). We would really like to take a trip before school to celebrate acceptance adn anniversary and get some time to ourselves before embarking on the crazy train. We've been thinking Alaska cruise.

I'm not a very emotional person. After all that hard work, I'll probably have a dinner for one at the Cheesecake Factory.

Taking my family and fiance out to Fogo de Chao.
It's a Brazillian churrascaria.. buffet style. 15 cuts of meat and continuous tableside service. :love: Holy crap, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

I couldn't get to the letter because I was on campus in my apartment, and I had all official stuff sent to my house.

My mom called me and told me I had received mail. I thought it was a rejection letter, so I told her she could open it. She started crying on the phone and told me I was accepted. I pretty much went bat**** insane, jumping up and down and screaming. My downstairs neighbor came up (whom I hated) and asked what all the noise was about. I just hugged him and told him I got into med school.

Then I got smashed later that night, and have been coasting through life ever since.

The coasting will come to a grinding halt in about 2 weeks, but I don't care because I'm going to be a doctor.

The first thing I would do is drive home (call if I dont have time for the drive home) and thank them for every thing. There is no way I would have gotten that letter without their help and support.

(knocks on wood) I'll probably spend the day trying to explain to my family what an MSTP is and why the hell I would want to spend so much time in school.

Then, call up the little lady, go for dinner and drinks, get mad when she cries hysterically thinking that I'll be more interested in medical school girls, go home and pass out by myself.

..Just being realistic

(knocks on wood) I'll probably spend the day trying to explain to my family what an MSTP is and why the hell I would want to spend so much time in school.

Then, call up the little lady, go for dinner and drinks, get mad when she cries hysterically thinking that I'll be more interested in medical school girls, go home and pass out by myself.

..Just being realistic

You'll have no idea until you actually get that letter, bro. "They'll all be prettier, skinnier, smarter, etc... You'll forget all about me!"

I'm sorry, do they still think you're 5 years old? :laugh:

I'm sorry to hear that your parents forgot the pinata and pin-the-tail on the donkey. Then your celebration would've been complete :laugh:

I'm sorry, do they still think you're 5 years old? :laugh:

Haha, the magic show and stuff was for all the younger cousins and kids. I'm 20 and I'm the oldest member in my generation, so there were a lot of kids there.

Though I must admit, I did enjoy the magic show :D

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go crazy and party it up.

I've already decided that if and when I get my acceptance letter, I'm going to run up and down my street shouting "I GOT INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!" for a little while. Then of course I am going to put it all over my facebook. I am going to delete all of the admissions documents from my computer and probably shred or burn the hard copies, happy to put this terrifying and anxiety-producing ordeal behind me. Then I am going to not so subtly hint to my family and friends that they need to throw me a party or at least a dinner in my honor. Then I am going to buy myself an iPad, because that is my gift to myself for when I get into med school.

Definitely going to surprise my parents. Then I'm going to remove the email connection from my iphone because I'll be in the habit of checking my email every hour

And I'm not going to tell everyone, that way if someone asks about it I'll casually say "Ya I'm going to medical school next year...not big" DGAF

And I'm not going to tell everyone, that way if someone asks about it I'll casually say "Ya I'm going to medical school next year...not big" DGAF

Oh man. Two Charlie Sheens in the house!! I call that bi-winning! :laugh: