How do you read science textbooks??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tesfawMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just curious how do you guys read textbooks for your science courses? What is your unique method, if you have any?

Members don't see this ad.

I remember when I first took biology I'd try to read that big book at night... put me to sleep every time!

I read books quickly (like skimming, but more accurate) with a pencil and paper in hand. When I come across something I don't know and think I should I write it down. If there's something I want to come back to later I write it down. That way I can get through the chapter without going to sleep. At the next study session I review to my notes and just crack the book to see what I wanted to look at again, otherwise I just review my own notes.

I'm not a perfect student. I can't stay up all night reading and highlighting books. :sleep:

Every class is different. For ochem, I read every page. For biology, I only read the chapter summaries. For physics, I tried to work the problems first, and looked up whatever information I needed.

There is no one-size-fits-all strategy for science courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biology: Very hard. usually have to take notes because I'll read the stuff and forget everything I read (or at least, forget the stuff my professor will test me on).

Physics: Read it, get the concepts, and then focus on problems. I've found that most of my understanding comes from doing problems rather than actually reading (for some of my upper level physics. For the general physics classes, usually reading was enough and a few problems may illuminate some weakly understood topics).

Chemistry: Read through, then probably read through it a second time sometime later. Problems weren't as essential for me (except for organic...had to do problems for that).

Math: Problems problems problems.

Biology: Very hard. usually have to take notes because I'll read the stuff and forget everything I read (or at least, forget the stuff my professor will test me on).

Physics: Read it, get the concepts, and then focus on problems. I've found that most of my understanding comes from doing problems rather than actually reading (for some of my upper level physics. For the general physics classes, usually reading was enough and a few problems may illuminate some weakly understood topics).

Chemistry: Read through, then probably read through it a second time sometime later. Problems weren't as essential for me (except for organic...had to do problems for that).

I know what you mean about biology. It's so frustrating to spend time reading and then having the information instantly evaporate and on top of that I remember everything I don't need to remember.

Biology: I just straight up read it. Physics and Chemistry: I went off of lecture notes + problems. For random general ed classes I mostly just went off of lecture notes, but read occasionally.

Last edited:
left to right :shrug:

but really, pretty much this

I'm not in the habit of reading my science textbooks, but when reading biology papers, I end up reading each paragraph several times before fully understanding what is going on :\