Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How do you screen your housemate before living with a stranger?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Gauss44, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Gauss44

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My biggest concern is ending up on a lease with someone who has a serious hidden problem like a drug issue. I am thinking that I should order a background check on potential housemates and aim for a housemate who is also a pre-med or at least some kind of professional or pre-professional like an RN, lawyer, etc. I am also very clear that I would like a quiet housemate.

How do you screen your potential housemates?

2. XxThaDoggxX

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Never thought about doing a background check lol... If you are capable of getting into medical school, and tell me you don't have a drug problem, chances are I will take your word for it. Maybe I am far too trusting.

drzooom, frosted_flake and Gauss44 like this.
  3. Spector1

Spector1 Orbis non Sufficit
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    just cough up the money to rent your own place if you are picky about who you live with. Otherwise, there isnt much you can do.

drzooom, allantois, md-2020 and 4 others like this.
  4. Meeehai

Room with friends or people you know already.

5. futuremdforme

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Talk to the person, ask about lifestyle questions (how neat and tidy are you, do you like to have people over for parties, do you like a quiet house, etc). Otherwise referrals from friends are good. I don't really recommend living with good friends.

DaenerysTargaryen likes this.
  6. Strudel19

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    As someone who's been out of their parents' house for quite a while now, I agree with this 100%. There is always something with a roommate.

7. Chelsea FC

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Everyone is a stranger .. Even your future mate ...

8. MrLogan13

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You don't. Live on your own. The extra money is worth the peace of mind, trust me.

9. heebeejeebies

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't know what kind of people you guys are, but living with roommates was one of the more formative experiences of college for me.

I lived in a house of 6 for 3 years, they're now life-long friends.

Ya'll just need to learn about compromise and communication.

DocFarnsworth likes this.
  10. JulioJones

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    A background check likely won't tell you if someone is a bad roommate. In my experience though my best roommates have always been the random ones, my worst have when I planned to live with friends. Best way to look them up is via social media cause that'll tell you a lot more than a background check.

11. Mr. Beefy Lion

2+ Year Member

You will always find something you don't like in your roommate. It's part of growing up, it's never going to be perfectly quiet when you study or take exams so you might as well get used to it

12. hypericum

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    I would say the most two important things by far are 1) figuring out whether your roommate likes to party and have friends over 2) matching your level of cleanliness. Passive aggressive notes about dishes in the sink will KILL roommate relationships.

Strudel19 likes this.
  13. Hospitalized

2+ Year Member

How large was that house?

14. heebeejeebies

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Pretty big house. It's common at my university though. Currently live with 5, it's nice having people around to hang out, vent, watch a movie etc.

But all you have to do is close your bedroom door and you have your alone time.

15. MrLogan13

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm in my 30's, and have had my fair share of living with roommates when I was younger. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's not. As an independent adult, I would never want to go back to living with roommates. Once you live alone, you'll never want to go back.

I could save a lot of money by having a roommate while I attend medical school, but paying the extra money to be on my own is worth it. OP, if you can swing it, don't do roommates.

Strudel19 likes this.
  16. drzooom

drzooom I was born at a very young age

RT to the part about living with friends. I lived with 2 people I'd known well for 2 years and only after living with them did we all realize that we just do not get along. I couldn't have known beforehand. It's luck of the draw with any roommates, whether they are friends or not. Also they both would have turned up with perfect background checks... you don't have to break the law to be a complete dingus lol. But anyway, I'd meet prospective roommates first, and gauge how much they value manners and being considerate, that's the most important quality in a roommate IMO.

17. UNMedGa

UNMedGa No time, busy doctor!
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't screen my room mates.. I pretty much just have to deal with what I'm given. The worst I deal with is people who's cleaning habits don't match mine; never anything all that bad.

Mr. Beefy Lion likes this.
  18. BeMD13

5+ Year Member

I've had sooo many roommates throughout college, grad school, and my first (low paying) job. A few were randomly assigned by my school or people I found online when I moved. People will be very straightforward about drinking/smoking and drug use but the most important thing I found is to find someone who matches your temperament. I'm more introverted and I got along great with all my roommates who were similar. They were fun to have around and spend time with and when I needed to study, I knew I wouldn't have to bang on their door to ask them to turn music down or ask that their 13 friends take the party out on the patio. When I lived with more extroverted roommates, stuff like that usually happened and then the tension started to fester. They were all great people that I could've been friends with, but living together under high pressure situations like med school or grad school just makes temperament clashes even more pronounced.

19. gannicus89

2+ Year Member

Right from the start, set up your conditions and rules or whatever. The first time I met one of my roommates, he listed out all of these conditions and told me about this crazy story with an old roommate who did x, y, z. Well, we actually got on really well, and he later told me he made up that story about the psycho roommate. He only told me that story to make it seem like he'd gone through hell and that he was a no-nonsense kind of person (his mom's advice). It worked. So maybe consider...exaggerating things a bit lol. Someone who just wants a place to live in and isn't interested in causing trouble won't try to make you bend or conditions/rules.

Also...try to get to know the person a little better, just through conversation. Within a minute of interacting with our third roommate, the friend I mentioned earlier and I knew that this new guy would be trouble. Not problematic in terms of legal issues or whatever, but problematic because of huge personality differences.

20. solitarius

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You can still save money and live on your own if commuting to school is an option. It's well worth the savings and a great excuse to turn down invites from classmates to do stuff.

21. leonardoson

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Give them a rectal exam. I'm sure you will know them very well at the end of that.

Meeehai and drzooom like this.
  22. IlyaR

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you live with other grad students then you can rely that they were already screened by their respective schools

23. IlDestriero

IlDestriero Ether Man
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would live alone unless there was absolutely no other options. It's just so much easier.

24. Lawper

Lawper not actually a cube
    Rocket Scientist Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Agree with all. Living alone is far better than living with strangers for obvious (non-financial) reasons. If you have to live with someone to save money, at least try to find a friend or a classmate to live with, but honestly it's not worth it.

MrLogan13 likes this.
  25. Hospitalized

2+ Year Member

What if they are guaiac+?

26. MrLogan13

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I do it all the time. lol "I have to go before traffic starts." haha

frosted_flake likes this.
  27. genericpremedstudent

Pre-Medical
    i found my first room mate ever on the internet when i was 18. **** got really weird when he started doing meth so i moved out. then i saw him on the news, hes serving 25 years for kidnapping, rape, and sodomy.

28. Spector1

Spector1 Orbis non Sufficit
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    he sounds totally cool.

Meeehai, drzooom and frosted_flake like this.
  29. drzooom

drzooom I was born at a very young age

holy s**tsnacks!!!

30. tantacles

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Guilty.

Glazedonutlove likes this.
  31. zero0

zero0 everything i hug dies
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You don't like meth?

32. genericpremedstudent

Pre-Medical
    i've always been more of a heroin guy...