axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Status
Pre-Medical
I got my @$$ handed to me on the August 20th MCAT... but I think it was more because I wasn't in the proper "mindset" on test day... it wasn't so much not knowing the material.

I'm planning to retake in January... how do I prepare for this beast again :confused:

Tourterm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2007
NJ
Status
Medical Student
In regards to mindset..

Rather then look at the MCAT as a hurdle that gets in your way, try to view the exam as more of a chance, an opportunity really, to show medical schools what you are capable of.

How did you study for the exam?

When I retook the exam I focused alot more on practice tests, rather then review, and did much better.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Status
Pre-Medical
I took 6 kaplan tests and all of the AAMCs. I was doing pretty well on the practice tests and was happy with my scores. I normally got 12+ in the sciences. Ended up with a 10 9 10 on the real thing. I am clueless as to what happened with the sciences.. I was still expecting around a 32 on the real thing... hoping the curve would help me. I found myself pretty much making educated guesses throughout the whole test. On the practice tests, I normally knew whether I got something right or wrong. It really just felt like a speed reading test to me.

About the Ads

floatingsponge

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2006
Status
I took 6 kaplan tests and all of the AAMCs. I was doing pretty well on the practice tests and was happy with my scores. I normally got 12+ in the sciences. Ended up with a 10 9 10 on the real thing. I am clueless as to what happened with the sciences..

MCAT score 29 is a decent score. I would seriously reconsider retaking it. I retook it 4 times. Everytime I think I would do better in one section, I end up with a lower score. Getting a 11 or higher is no trivial matter. It depends quite a bit on who you are competing on that day taking the test rather than on the actual raw score. If you can make a 33 or higher the next time you take it then you are in good shape. If you end up getting a 25 or lower then you ARE EXPOSED!

acurax

10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
MCAT score 29 is a decent score. I would seriously reconsider retaking it. I retook it 4 times. Everytime I think I would do better in one section, I end up with a lower score. Getting a 11 or higher is no trivial matter. It depends quite a bit on who you are competing on that day taking the test rather than on the actual raw score. If you can make a 33 or higher the next time you take it then you are in good shape. If you end up getting a 25 or lower then you ARE EXPOSED!
I'm not sure about this. I thought the scale was based on how other people did on test items that were in previous exams, rather than everyone that day pitted against each other. ?

koopa_troopa

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I'm not sure about this. I thought the scale was based on how other people did on test items that were in previous exams, rather than everyone that day pitted against each other. ?

It should be against people taking the same test as you. However, I don't think it varies that much between testing days. Looking at the AAMC CBT scaled scores, the raw score required for each bracket is almost the same for every test.

About the Ads