MD & DO How do you take notes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dona Nobis Pacem

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Do you write everything down on papers, or type your notes on computers, or take notes with stylus/tablet? What works for you?

I'm thinking of switching to electronic since I can't incorporate complex diagrams into my notes.

Members don't see this ad.

I started using OneNote, a program within Microsoft office and absolutely love it. You just upload the professors powerpoint/pdf into one note and you can write, draw, highlight anywhere on the slide as well as the space around the slide.

Reactions: 4 users
OneNote is amazing. I type all my notes on there next to the slides. It also lets you control F stuff between notebooks/sections really quickly so that's definitely a plus when it comes to searching for that one piece of obscure information from a lecture.

Would recommend OneNote for blocks and most classes except for biochem and anatomy which are more drawing-intensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't take notes. I would rather spend time trying to process everything. We're going to have to remember everything eventually.

Reactions: 1 users
I also personally didn't take notes during preclinical, but classmates of mine liked OneNote, paper notes (either printing out the slides and taking them on them, or just a blank sheet of notebook paper), using a Surface to write on the powerpoint directly, bullet points in microsoft word's notepad type thing (forget what it's called), and some people used Evernote (I feel like this has fallen out of favor though).

Reactions: 1 user
Notability fam this is 2018

Reactions: 4 users
I use OneNote (more for organization purposes) but I don't take formal notes. If the professor says something that isn't on the slide, I'll add it in but other than that, I just put everything into Anki and then I'm good to go.

I just make Anki cards as I watch at x2. Most of what is said is on the slides.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't.
tenor.gif

Reactions: 5 users
If you have an iPad Pro, apparently you can also search by the word you wrote, which is pretty cool when reviewing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used openoffice for most of M1. After having it crash on me for the 500th time I did the sensible thing and "obtained" a copy of Word. Say what you will, but imo it really is the best writing software - theres a lot you can do with it.

Its a little crazy, but I compile notes from every source - BnB, Pathoma, RR, anki cards anywhere and make monster .doc files on each system. Then I print them off, holepunch, stick them in folders, and brute force the whole thing. Its a little clumsy, but I find it works surprisingly well, and it calms my neuroticism that I missed a factoid here or there.

Lectures for the most part mirror topics for boards, so i just take notes in firecracker

Felt compelled to sign up and also endorse OneNote. It's incredibly intuitive and has some useful tools such as quickly snipping webpages, e-mails, highlighting text, annotating, and even inserting audio files into your notes. Beats handwriting or audio-recording alone any day.

I believe you get 5 GB free storage as well, which should cover most people's needs. Also, I recommend watching some YouTube vids so you get a rundown of all the features.

Just started as an M1 but OneNote with a Surface is actually pretty much perfect so far. Easy to import documents and powerpoints. I can comfortably draw on slides at any angle or highlight and can switch to laptop mode to type things or search for things.

I don't. Total waste of time.