How to study and take notes in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hi all! I've recently been accepted (thank heavens) to an MD school and have been on 2 gap years, so I honestly am kind of scared of how rigorous the studying is going to be. So I'm wondering if I could get your input whether you're in undergrad/med school/dental whatever, but what works for you guys!? I've heard using Anki and UWorld and it seems like a lot of people get an ipad and use notability. iPad over laptop or vise versa? Many don't go to lecture and just watch it at home on 2x speed with the lecture notes/presentation up. I guess I'm just wondering what resources to study and way to take notes do you recommend? I'm excited to hear everyone's input! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pick one good study method to start with. And then a second back-up. I went through about 3-4 during my 1st year of med school. The volume is something you haven't experienced, so it's better to be flexible in your methods. You'll find what works for you, but it will definitely not be what you start with

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! I've recently been accepted (thank heavens) to an MD school and have been on 2 gap years, so I honestly am kind of scared of how rigorous the studying is going to be. So I'm wondering if I could get your input whether you're in undergrad/med school/dental whatever, but what works for you guys!? I've heard using Anki and UWorld and it seems like a lot of people get an ipad and use notability. iPad over laptop or vise versa? Many don't go to lecture and just watch it at home on 2x speed with the lecture notes/presentation up. I guess I'm just wondering what resources to study and way to take notes do you recommend? I'm excited to hear everyone's input! Thanks in advance!
That being said, I generally used anki, watched the lecture at x2 speed, and watched B&B videos. Writing/typing notes generally took too much time, and I found that the pre-made anki decks covered the material well, so I just focused on that day to day. And did practice Qs/quizzes the weekend before an exam.

Reactions: 1 users