How do you tell schools decisions on May 15th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altaskier

Altaholics Anonymous 92'
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My decision is coming down to the day of May 15th. How do you guys recommend I withdraw from schools on the day of May 15th? I'm thinking they probably need something in writing so I was gonna fax them a statement of withdrawl? Anyone else in this situation?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

To withdraw -- (at least what I did)

1. Email them your intentions --> help out those waitlisted guys/gals by giving schools immediate notice

2. Mail them a formal declaration of withdrawal -- make sure it's reasonably cordial (unless it's BU with their 7+ month lack of communication, in which case, I'd say decorum should go out the window!).

Hope this helps . . .

I've dropped all other schools, but i'm stuck between 2 schools. I figured that I'd call the one I intend to drop and let them know of my intentions and them fax them a hand written letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
MAIL them an official typed letter, signed and dated. It will be more professional on your part.

But then the letter will not get there until May 16th, the latest...even if I do mail it overnight.

Also: Email or fax the school you are going to attend, and inform them that you have dropped the other schools. I just dealt with that situation today, because AMCAS had not yet updated my drops. Don't risk getting dropped by your school of choice because they think you are wavering.

Okay, yes send a letter in addition to whatever else you do, but you also need to do more. I recommend calling them. You're putting them through a lot by waiting this long and they deserve to speak to an actual person, but if you can't muster up the courage to do that, send out an e-mail.

Thanks a lot for the advice Laura JC! I'm glad you dropped in that line. I'll be sure to do that.

thanks again

altaskier, I sent you a PM.

the schools wont be offended if you dont send them a formal letter, they are too busy to mind such stuff. If they're fine with e-mail, spare the 34 cents :)

Personally, I've written nice letters (w/ signature), faxed it to them, and sent a hard copy just in case they require that. It's worked so far.

The schools I withdrew from actually accepted my intention on the phone (!), and then asked me to email them at the least.

Legend...I sent you a PM

Thanks to all for their input. It's much appreciated!

altaskier,
which schools are you choosing between and which one are you going to withdrawal from?

MCW and UVM. Gonna withdraw from UVM.

Coalboy's suggestion was a good one -- fax them a nice statement, and then follow up with a signed letter. I sent most of my withdrawals as letters through priority mail, but there is one school from which I'll be withdrawing tomorrow (long story), and in a generic e-mail to acceptees they recommended e-mail or fax withdrawals. . . although I'm following up with a signed letter.