How does a graduate from a medical school become a teacher?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blahwhatever

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the process is to teach in a medical school (or at the undergrad level) after graduating from medical school? I would like to do it part time, maybe after residency. My main desire so far is to work in a hospital setting, but lecturing classes on the side would be kind of fun.

Do you have to go through some sort of special training before you're allowed to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, in undergrad, they would want academic degree in a specific field (at least a masters in a field like biochemistry, for example, to be a part time lecturer).

For more serious consideration, a PhD and a lot of research. I am not sure if medical degree would be enough for you to be able to teach classes, though it might be possible.

For teaching at a medical school, you need research.

Generally, in undergrad, they would want academic degree in a specific field (at least a masters in a field like biochemistry, for example, to be a part time lecturer).

For more serious consideration, a PhD and a lot of research. I am not sure if medical degree would be enough for you to be able to teach classes, though it might be possible.

For teaching at a medical school, you need research.

In response to the previous statement, it's absolutely possible. Many active physicians lecture as professors for undergrad (medical school) coursework. Research is also not an absolute prerequisite. Options for teaching vary by school and your commitment level, which will determine your level of involvement as a professor. You can also be a clinical professor for the specialty you are board certified in, for students taking their rotations during their 3rd and 4th year.

Members don't see this ad :)
In response to the previous statement, it's absolutely possible. Many active physicians lecture as professors for undergrad (medical school) coursework. Research is also not an absolute prerequisite. Options for teaching vary by school and your commitment level, which will determine your level of involvement as a professor. You can also be a clinical professor for the specialty you are board certified in, for students taking their rotations during their 3rd and 4th year.
I didn't know that research wasn't a requirement like it is in academia. Very interesting - and good to know! Thanks.

My dad is a board certified radiologist with a fellowship in cardiovascular radiology. He used to give occasional lectures at a med school. The medschool here asked him to come in and teach some of the radiology stuff, but the fact is he is deathly afraid of public speaking and doesn't want to. If you take the initiative and have the qualifications you can at least teach med students in small groups or give the occasional lecture.

Yeah, research is hardly a requirement.

I was wondering what the process is to teach in a medical school (or at the undergrad level) after graduating from medical school? I would like to do it part time, maybe after residency. My main desire so far is to work in a hospital setting, but lecturing classes on the side would be kind of fun.

Do you have to go through some sort of special training before you're allowed to do this?

Yeah I agree with you ... lecturing would be fun. I always thought it would be a definite possibility on some level with an MD/DO. I think, like others were saying, more in a med school setting than like an undergrad course somewhere - where a guy with a PhD in Biochem would teach the class Biochem class over an MD.

If you have your degree and can't teach something like: Intro to bio 1/2 i don't know what to say.

Well I'm sure doctor could teach it, but they'd hardly be experts in much of what is taught. My first semester of bio was only peripherally related to human physiology, it was evolution, photosynthesis, classification, etc.

Not that any doctor couldn't learn, but I'm not sure if they'd necessarily have the differences between phylum pteridophyta and phylum gnetophyta committed to memory, or even know anything about things like that. How much photosynthesis do you learn in med school? As I said, they'd easily learn, but it's not like they could just teach it from memory.

I taught Anatomy and Physiology for a nursing school during the first two years of medical school. There's no reason why you couldn't do that AFTER you get your MD or DO degree. You know all of the information and have the ability to clinically correlate the material. The students really seem to enjoy that.

I think it could be as simple as taking on an attending position at a university hospital. Just let the faculty know that you'd be interested in lecturing part of the time. In my experience, most attending's abhor giving formal lectures. They'll probably be happy to have someone thats looking forward to doing so.

Anyhow, just being an attending at teaching hospital provides you with plenty of opportunities to instruct med students and residents (and even nurses/support staff) on a daily basis. My cardiology attending devoted an hour at the end of each day to review/discuss some topic in a conference room.

Reviving an old thread.

Just finished medical school and instead of entering a residency I'd like to enter academia and teach medical school students. What are my chances? How many people after medical school go direct to teaching instead of being clinical teacher, rather the basic medical science teacher. Don't you think an MD (followed by a PhD may be)will teach better to medical students rather than someone who is only PhD and never seen medical school?

Ain't sure about US, but based on your experience how many people choose this career path (MD followed by PhD may be) and become a faculty member at a medical school or a medical university? and don't enter any sort of residency.

Edit: NM, old thread.

We had a new graduate teach several of our courses. He didn't want to do an internship and the school hired him right after he graduated. You should talk to the administration about this as they probably prefer their alumnis to teach over random PhD I'm guessing. .