How does ADD affect admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ironically, while trying to study for an exam I have tomorrow I got bored and looked up some Adult ADD stuff. I took a little assessment created by a physician for AADD. Anyone scoring a 20 or higher may have Adult ADD -- I scored a 31.

I'm gonna try to see a doc soon for a diagnosis and see if it's true or not. Anyways, if I am diagnosed with Adult ADD (I can certainly see the symptoms now) how will this affect admissoins? Should I mentioned anywhere that I went through all of undergrad with ADD but no medication? I always realized I wasn't achieving my potential, but never thought that may be why.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

JKDMed said:
Ironically, while trying to study for an exam I have tomorrow I got bored and looked up some Adult ADD stuff. I took a little assessment created by a physician for AADD. Anyone scoring a 20 or higher may have Adult ADD -- I scored a 31.

I'm gonna try to see a doc soon for a diagnosis and see if it's true or not. Anyways, if I am diagnosed with Adult ADD (I can certainly see the symptoms now) how will this affect admissoins? Should I mentioned anywhere that I went through all of undergrad with ADD but no medication? I always realized I wasn't achieving my potential, but never thought that may be why.

Any thoughts?

Dude, based on all of your obsessing (previously about a C+ grade in O-Chem, now ADD), you probably also have OCD or perhaps even hypochondriasis. You're probably also looking for reasons to justify some minor flaws in your academic record. This a natural response. RELAX!

Regarding adult ADD, keep in mind that pharmaceutical companies like to medicalize social problems. In this erratic world, we all experience problems with attention and concentration. This doesn't mean that we should dose up on Strattera so that pharma stockholders can net another few billion this year.

Of course, the possibility also exists that you may indeed have ADD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think his point is that when you start reading and learning about disorders that you begin to think that you have them, particularly psych disorders(esp true of self-absorbed med students in my experience). At any rate, I think it is a crap shoot some people won't hold it against you, others will say they won't hold it against you, but they will. I would not bring it up, but I'm sure others will say different. Additionally, if you go to a psychiatrist to be evaluated for ADD, you will get diagnosed with it. Keep in mind though, that not being an A student does not mean there is anything wrong with you, it just means that you are like the other 90% of the student population who are not A students. So welcome to mediocrity, a warm fuzzy place where you are never alone.

While it's true that many psych majors feel they have every disorder in the book, after awhile this tends to go away. Oddly enough, I don't recall ever really going through this period. Besides, I had abnormal and all that a long time ago.

After some consideration, my ADD-like symptoms may just be the product of a lack of challenge or, in certain cases, interest. Although I realize I have always been an underachiever, whether this is due to untreated ADD or simply old habits leftover from high school, I'm not sure.

ADD is often coupled with OCD, that's a known fact. Learning about a disease and then thinking you have it is the #1 most often reported side effect of first year med students.

This application business seems to stressing you more than the average person. Have you thought about seeing a psychologist or someone else to talk to about this process? You're using this on-line forum to try to ally your fears when it sounds like you need more of a support in your regular, day to day life.

Seriously, you need to find out why you are experiencing higher levels of anxiety than other people - don't get me wrong, we're all anxious as well, but freaking about an on-line ADD test, saying you're going to go to the school in Antigua just in case you want to practice medicine outside the US and the DO isn't accepted just sounds extreme. All of this perceived risk seems to be greatly outweighing the benefits of applying to med school in the first place - to learn, to take on responsibility, to handle the health of others when they cannot.

Constant freaking isn't going to help you in the trauma bay when your patient is coding. Learning how to cope and deal with problems in reality will. There is nothing wrong with asking for mental help through this process, its stressful!! Ignoring what many people tell you and continuing to torture yourself with details is unhealthy and dangerous. I told you that you had a personality disorder a while ago ... maybe its time to get some psychologist help?

You guys are so way off it isn't funny. I don't see myself expressing any more anxiety than anyone else on here, and I hardly "freaked out" regarding the ADD thing. It was what I was doing at the time and I had a question.

You guys really should know you can't diagnose someone on the internet, especially if you're not even qualified to do so to begin with. You guys just seem to have generalized what someone assumed and applied it to me, even though whoever did it to begin with was wrong.

If you knew me in real life, which is where diagnoses are really made, you would see how silly your comments actually are.

Hi. ADD and other situations aren't given consideration in the admissions process. You are admitted solely on your qualifications. If you have ADD they won't hold it against you. But you can't use it to explain away any deficiencies.

JKDMed said:
No offense, but you really need to read up more on OCD and hypo before you go throwing labels around. :rolleyes:

Go ahead and diagnose yourself. But wait, you have to first see a commercial about some wonder drug for OCD and hypochondriasis. :laugh: Did you complete your AACOMAS application yet or should you be diagnosed for an anxiety disorder of some kind?

Diagnostic criteria for 300.3 Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

A. Either obsessions or compulsions:

Obsessions as defined by (1), (2), (3), and (4):

(1) recurrent and persistent thoughts, impulses, or images that are experienced, at some time during the disturbance, as intrusive and inappropriate and that cause marked anxiety or distress
(2) the thoughts, impulses, or images are not simply excessive worries about real-life problems
(3) the person attempts to ignore or suppress such thoughts, impulses, or images, or to neutralize them with some other thought or action
(4) the person recognizes that the obsessional thoughts, impulses, or images are a product of his or her own mind (not imposed from without as in thought insertion)

Compulsions as defined by (1) and (2):

(1) repetitive behaviors (e.g., hand washing, ordering, checking) or mental acts (e.g., praying, counting, repeating words silently) that the person feels driven to perform in response to an obsession, or according to rules that must be applied rigidly
(2) the behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation; however, these behaviors or mental acts either are not connected in a realistic way with what they are designed to neutralize or prevent or are clearly excessive

B. At some point during the course of the disorder, the person has recognized that the obsessions or compulsions are excessive or unreasonable. Note: This does not apply to children.

C. The obsessions or compulsions cause marked distress, are time consuming (take more than 1 hour a day), or significantly interfere with the person's normal routine, occupational (or academic) functioning, or usual social activities or relationships.

D. If another Axis I disorder is present, the content of the obsessions or compulsions is not restricted to it (e.g., preoccupation with food in the presence of an Eating Disorders; hair pulling in the presence of Trichotillomania; concern with appearance in the presence of Body Dysmorphic Disorder; preoccupation with drugs in the presence of a Substance Use Disorder; preoccupation with having a serious illness in the presence of Hypochondriasis; preoccupation with sexual urges or fantasies in the presence of a Paraphilia; or guilty ruminations in the presence of Major Depressive Disorder).

E. The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition.

Diagnostic criteria for 300.7 Hypochondriasis

A. Preoccupation with fears of having, or the idea that one has, a serious disease based on the person's misinterpretation of bodily symptoms.

B. The preoccupation persists despite appropriate medical evaluation and reassurance.

C. The belief in Criterion A is not of delusional intensity (as in Delusional Disorder, Somatic Type) and is not restricted to a circumscribed concern about appearance (as in Body Dysmorphic Disorder).

D. The preoccupation causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

E. The duration of the disturbance is at least 6 months.

F. The preoccupation is not better accounted for by Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, a Major Depressive Episode, Separation Anxiety, or another Somatoform Disorder.

--------------------------------------------

To the others in this thread, would you agree that the #1 Axis II condition that medical students think they have is Narcissistic Personality Disorder?

Diagnostic criteria for 301.81 Narcissistic Personality Disorder

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

(4) requires excessive admiration

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Wow, I don't meet any of those criteria. Impressive. :thumbup: Thanks for posting those by the way, I didn't remember any of that from abnormal two semesters ago.

Since for some reason you believe you're right even though you're painfully wrong, I'l go through each of the criteria you pasted. By the way, did you even read them?

Obsession
1 NO
2 NO. Maybe you skipped this one? the thoughts, impulses, or images are not simply excessive worries about real-life problems
3 NO
4 NO
5 NO

Compulsion
1 NO
2 NO
B-E NO

Hypochondriasis
A-F NO

Narcissistic Personality Disorder
1-9 NO

Goddamn, did you even bother to read this? What is your problem? YOU WERE WRONG. Repeat this a thousand times to yourself and go away.

Diagnostic criteria for 301.81 Narcissistic Personality Disorder

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

(4) requires excessive admiration

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

This describes 90% of the med students I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need at least 5 or more from that list to be diagnosed with NPD. Most med students probably come close. Many people make the error of seeing one or two traits similar to a disorder and generalize. Usually these people aren't qualified to do it either.

JKDMed said:
While it's true that many psych majors feel they have every disorder in the book, after awhile this tends to go away. Oddly enough, I don't recall ever really going through this period. Besides, I had abnormal and all that a long time ago.

After some consideration, my ADD-like symptoms may just be the product of a lack of challenge or, in certain cases, interest. Although I realize I have always been an underachiever, whether this is due to untreated ADD or simply old habits leftover from high school, I'm not sure.

HTH: 45% of psychologists disagree with the ADD category in the DSM. Don't trust ANY physician, psychiatrist or not, to diagnose you because they just don't know psychology; they know how to prescribe meds. People can experience "ADD like symptoms" from lack of sleep. You mentioned that you were staying up late studying for an exam. Any chance you are working your a-- off like the rest of us trying to get into med school and you're just tired? You should listen to PublicHealth.

jkhamlin said:
HTH: 45% of psychologists disagree with the ADD category in the DSM. Don't trust ANY physician, psychiatrist or not, to diagnose you because they just don't know psychology; they know how to prescribe meds. People can experience "ADD like symptoms" from lack of sleep. You mentioned that you were staying up late studying for an exam. Any chance you are working your a-- off like the rest of us trying to get into med school and you're just tired? You should listen to PublicHealth.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

YOU WERE WRONG x 1000. There you go, JKD. Next time you try to be wise, make sure you select the appropriate pronoun.

JKDMed said:
Many people make the error of seeing one or two traits similar to a disorder and generalize. Usually these people aren't qualified to do it either.

You just answered your original question.

JK, i don't think it's a big deal. i have ADD and take ritalin daily- both those facts were on my health forms and no one has said a word to me. i did mention it to a classmate the first day because i was especially labile that day, but i think it was mostly due to me being nervous.

it's easy to say ADD is overdiagnosed and medication is a bull$hit solution- but if you've ever spent years of your life thinking you were stupid when in fact you had a neurological disorder, a diagnosis and a ritalin scrip are godsends. having said that, go to a physician who specializes in ADD (especially adult ADD) and proceed with caution. ritalin is great, but i am all too aware of the stigma that comes along with taking it, as well as the side effects. a lot of people didn't believe i could have it since i had already graduated from college, as if passing classes wasn't possible with ADD, nor was getting itno med school.

strattera is the new medication prescribed specifically for adult ADD and is classified as a "non-stimulant", but supposedly acts like one. i opted not to try it due to numerous reports i heard from family, friends and patients about it making you very drowsy and other really bad side effects. i am very happy with ritalin- that said, i am also very serious about taking it properly and safely. it has it's own set of side effects that can be very unpleasent or even dangerous. additionally, because of the issue of triplicate prescription forms, it is very difficult to keep taking as there are no refills and you can't call the scrip in to the pharmacy. i have to take it by hand once a month to the pharmacy, which also means i have to make time to see my doc once a month as they can't write it until you are in the office. in med school, it's a drag. i'm waiting right now for the pharmacy to open so i can pick up my scrip because they had to order it, and i'd rather be on my way to school.

you may have it, you may not. it's best to let a professional decide, and to ask yourself if you truly believe the hassle is worth it. it won't make you smarter or study better unless you really do have severe ADD, and it's really not an excuse for not getting good grades. managing ADD will take up a significant part of your life, but if you do indeed have it, your life will also improve greatly. good luck.

that dr. jack said:
it's easy to say ADD is overdiagnosed and medication is a bull$hit solution- but if you've ever spent years of your life thinking you were stupid when in fact you had a neurological disorder, a diagnosis and a ritalin scrip are godsends.
:rolleyes:There has never been any evidence that ADD, if it exists, is a neurological disorder. To say so is fallacious.
that dr. jack said:
having said that, go to a physician who specializes in ADD (especially adult ADD) and proceed with caution.
There is no board specialty in ADD. Therefore any physician who "specializes" in it is making the claim on his own, which means "Yeah, I buy into the informal logical fallacy that ADD is a neurological disorder, and although the diagnostic criteria is completely subjective and qualitative, I will prescribe away instead of using the proven therapies that help."
Ok, for a COMPETENT diagnosis go to a psychologist. For an incompetent diagnosis go to a physician.
that dr. jack said:
ritalin is great, but i am all too aware of the stigma that comes along with taking it, as well as the side effects. a lot of people didn't believe i could have it since i had already graduated from college, as if passing classes wasn't possible with ADD, nor was getting itno med school.
DSM IV TR Criteria D: There must be clear evidence of clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning.
that dr. jack said:
you may have it, you may not. it's best to let a professional decide, and to ask yourself if you truly believe the hassle is worth it. it won't make you smarter or study better unless you really do have severe ADD, and it's really not an excuse for not getting good grades. managing ADD will take up a significant part of your life, but if you do indeed have it, your life will also improve greatly. good luck.
Finally some reality.

ritalin, as a stimulant, will increase the concentration and capacity to study in any individual. Just because something makes you feel better does not make it a good treatment. I was misdiagnosed with ADD for years and had ritalin shoved down my gullet, made me feel like I could finish college in 6 months and med school in a year. Anyway, if you have ADD(if ADD even exists), try cognitive and behavioral therapy and use stimulants as a very last resort if you have to, just my advice from experience.

medic170 said:
Anyway, if you have ADD(if ADD even exists), try cognitive and behavioral therapy and use stimulants as a very last resort if you have to, just my advice from experience.
:clap:YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I was correct in my previous assessment of passive-aggressiveness. Here are two previous threads where a post was made by you highlighting a problem you have. We all jump in to help you and then you attack us, one by one until you hear a satisfactory response.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=121288&highlight=JKDmed

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=122263&page=3&highlight=JKDmed

Enough! Get off the computer and to a psychologist - you know you need it, but are either afraid of the outcome or enjoy the passive-aggressive process. The more you protest, the more right we are. This is why I don't want to be a psychiatrist!! Bleeech!!

I attack people who do one of several things: (a) make erroneous assumptions (b) use a couple of examples to generalize about something or someone (c) provide false or misleading information (d) persist that they are right even in the face of contradictory evidence.

Take a step back and you may see what's really going on. This really has nothing to do with psychopathology and more to do with irritation.

Many people here fight a lot more than I do, yet nobody assumes they have anything wrong. Why? Because nobody has ever erroneously assumed it and made it public.

It's like a bad rumor and everyone jumps onto the bandwagon. If a male member jokingly makes a pass at another male member and someone claims that person is gay, then eventually the general population will think the same. Be an individual and make judgements based on fact, not based on the incorrect assumptions or horribly inaccurate labels perpetuated by someone else.

And as usual, unless you have a master's degree or higher in psychology or have done a psychiatric residency, you're probably wrong anyways. I know better than to try and diagnose or analyze people on the internet, why don't you? Many things may LOOK like a psychological disorder, but in fact aren't -- this is why it takes years of TRAINING to be able to make these accurate diagnoses, and probably a major reason why many disorders are over-diagnosed.

JKDMed said:
I know better than to try and diagnose or analyze people on the internet, why don't you? Many things may LOOK like a psychological disorder, but in fact aren't -- this is why it takes years of TRAINING to be able to make these accurate diagnoses, and probably a major reason why many disorders are over-diagnosed.

Um, no offense, but didn't you start this thread because of an internet diagnosis?? You must have thought it had some validity if you were worried enough to post the question without having seen a trained professional yet. Anyway, good luck, I hope things work out.

It was an assessment designed by an attending psychiatrist, not a diagnosis. Its purpose was to assess the possibility of a condition to decide if professional help was needed.

In response to your original question...no. ADD has no impact on the decision of an admissions committee. In fact, it is illegal if it does.

I know two medical students with ADHD. Both of them have to work a bit harder than the other students to just pass their classes. The school did, however make special accomodations for both of them when possible. For example, extra time on written exams, taking exams in a quiet place away from the rest of the students, etc. If you are honest about your problem, if you do in fact find that you have ADHD, the school will help you to succeed.

Okay.

There's been quite a bit of mudslinging going on in this thread.

There are two questions I see being debated:

1) ADD (ADHD) - what is it really?

2) ADD (ADHD) - how does being diagnosed with it affect one's status as an applicant or student?

I think JKDMed is asking question #2 primarily, while other people are trying to answer #1. This is in part because JKDMed's method of assessing his chances of having it - via the internet, is preliminary and therefore inconclusive at this time.

These are all valid topics to discuss, but I ask that all of you take a step back and try to inject a little more civility into the discussion.

And please, no more personal attacks.

Thanks!

And TDJ: quick! - what artery and nerve emerges from the quadrangular space! ... Time's up! ;)

jkhamlin said:
:rolleyes:There has never been any evidence that ADD, if it exists, is a neurological disorder. To say so is fallacious.

There is no board specialty in ADD. Therefore any physician who "specializes" in it is making the claim on his own, which means "Yeah, I buy into the informal logical fallacy that ADD is a neurological disorder, and although the diagnostic criteria is completely subjective and qualitative, I will prescribe away instead of using the proven therapies that help."
Ok, for a COMPETENT diagnosis go to a psychologist. For an incompetent diagnosis go to a physician.

DSM IV TR Criteria D: There must be clear evidence of clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning.

Finally some reality.

ok, i had an earlier response but i changed it:
i absolutely disagree with you on many points and think your responses were rude, but i really can't be bothered to argue in response to so much posturing and so little actual content. you didn't state anything i didn't already know or hadn't heard before from other amature psychologists with unoriginal information regurgitation syndrome. tell me something new.

now that i've gotten that cheekyness out of my system (sorry but i couldn't resist), i wish you much luck in school and in life. you're obviously quite intelligent and have a knack for logic.

tkim6599 said:
And TDJ: quick! - what artery and nerve emerges from the quadrangular space! ... Time's up! ;)

axillary nerve and posterior craptacular humeral artery.

I waited for three strikes before I decided to respond...

jkhamlin said:
45% of psychologists disagree with the ADD category in the DSM. Don't trust ANY physician, psychiatrist or not, to diagnose you because they just don't know psychology; they know how to prescribe meds.

Psychiatrists are physicians who specialize in the field of psychiatry. They know more than just how to "prescribe meds."

jkhamlin said:
There has never been any evidence that ADD, if it exists, is a neurological disorder. To say so is fallacious.

This seems ridiculous to even have to address. I'll give you a website to get you started. It lists about 500 references outlining the neurological basis of the disorder. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/pubs/cbm/adhd.html#150

jkhamlin said:

You appear to support the psychological theory of ADHD (which is fine), and for some other unknown reasons, seem to despise physicians, and psychiatrists in particular, intruding on the field of psychiatry/psychology. If you've actually ever spent even one time in an office with a psychiatrist examining a child with suspected ADHD, you'd see that they require multiple collateral sources, a physical exam, and many other factors before they simply throw medication at them, as you imply. In fact, many children are sent away with return appointments so that the psychiatrist can make the best judgement based on the Connor's, collateral interviews, report cards, etc. I don't see this as an "incompetent diagnosis." Most of the psychiatrists I've seen evaluating these types of children and/or adults, will suggest or refer to a psychologist as well.

i find this entire thread amusing...
isn't the original poster the same person who has already said he was going to forget medical school and go into the fbi or secret service or something in another thread that he started, and then wanted a full military wedding with swords even though he'd only be inactive reserve 2nd lt in another thread....
now adult add... i could be wrong, and no offense should be taken, i just find it all quite amusing.

DrRichardKimble said:
isn't the original poster the same person who has already said he was going to forget medical school and go into the fbi or secret service or something in another thread that he started, and then wanted a full military wedding with swords even though he'd only be inactive reserve 2nd lt in another thread....
now adult add... i could be wrong, and no offense should be taken, i just find it all quite amusing.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DrRichardKimble said:

No, I said it was a possible alternative given I don't get in after a couple tries. What does the wedding thing have to do with anything? Maybe you should actually try reading some of this stuff? So what's your point? That I post on things not directly related to med school?

JKDMED,

I hope it all works out. Just make sure you do a lot of research to find a reputable psychologist or psychiatrist. There are a lot of quacks in both professions. Take your time and find the right professional. Good Luck!

im one to think that ADD doesnt really exist, and if it does then its vastly overdiag. Take all the kids that have been "diag" and put them in front of a playstation... 10 bucks says that most of them will be there an hour later.

my two cents

I would just like to say that the OP is worrying for nothing. He will eventually get into med school. OP: You have a 3.3-3.4 which is like average for DO schools. A C here or a B there isn't gonna hurt you. You'll GET IN. I will bet my life on it.

Q: How does ADD affect admissions?

A: What was the question again?

I would get a professional neuropsych evaluation and go from there... I see no problem with being pro-active in addressing your concerns with the posibility of maximizing your potential as a person, student and/or physician. As far as the naysayers, the critics, and self espousing experts...very typical responses. Having ADD as a medical student is probably as benign a psychological condition one could have compared to some of the afore mentioned neurotic and axis II traits that seems to permeate the medical school landscape. But to address the original question, my personal opinion is that it "should not " make one bit of difference in judging the merits of a potential physician given that a proper diagnosis and treatment has been established. However, its a crap shoot in terms of telling an admissions committee. I would personally hold off. That said, however, I know two individuals with dyslexia, two with ADD, and several on medication for depressive mood disorders who are now in medical school.

I have adult ADD, my son has ADD (not ADHD). I take Paxil and my son takes Adderall. The best way I can think to describe it is this: it's like a movie where the sound and the picture aren't in sync. It's being a few seconds or a few minutes behind everyone else. The meds have made a HUGE difference in my son - without it his attention is...somewhere else; WITH meds, he's right on top of things. I look back at my childhood and I see in me what my son is going through now. However, they didn't have ADD as a diagnosis way back then (I'm 48.) I had quite a few coping mechanisms to deal with it. About 3 years ago, all my coping mechanisms started to fail. I came across an online adult ADD assessment (on a physician's website). The fact that 98% of the questions applied directly to me had me going to a psychiatrist for a diagnosis. The fact is, ADD is very real. It's not me making excuses for whatever failings of mine - of which there are many, I'm sure. Nor is it "all in my head." Long ago, people (with perfect vision) said that poor vision was imaginary - that those with poor vision weren't looking hard enough or trying hard enough. Sometimes it seems as though we're in that same place with ADD. And now, armed with a proper diagnosis and proper treatment, I can go on and have a successful and fulfilling life (as a DOCTOR!!! in 6-7 years).

Now, that being said, I would like to address one other thing I noticed in this thread - personal attacks are not only unkind and unnecessary, they reflect very poorly on the attacker. Shall I be Mom and say "play nice with the other kids, or I'll send you to your room"?