How does AMCAS convert your GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjgennarelli

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not applied to medical school yet. I was wondering whether and how AMCAS converts everyone's GPA to a uniform scale? In other words, say one student comes from a school that uses the +/- system (ie A, A+, B+, B, B-, etc.), another student comes from a school that uses the + system (ie A, B+, B, C+, C, etc.), and another student comes from a school that uses base grades only (ie A, B, C etc.). Does AMCAS (or the AMCAS application for that matter) apply any conversion to your overall gpa that can either increase or decrease it? For example, all A's, and A-'s would be converted to a 4.0, B+'s, B's, and B-'s would be converted to a 3.0, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS takes into account any +/-'s, no matter if your university does or not. It sucks cause I have a couple of A-'s...and also A+'s are the same as A's. Also, other classes where I should have maybe gotten a B+, I only got a B because that teacher didn't give +/-'s.

Btw, I goto UMD right now and they do not have the +/- system incorporated with GPA calculations, but select teachers still give them out.

Turkeyman said:
AMCAS takes into account any +/-'s, no matter if your university does or not. It sucks cause I have a couple of A-'s...and also A+'s are the same as A's. Also, other classes where I should have maybe gotten a B+, I only got a B because that teacher didn't give +/-'s.

Btw, I goto UMD right now and they do not have the +/- system incorporated with GPA calculations, but select teachers still give them out.

So, for example, if your school only uses the + system, then it only takes the +'s into account? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, AMCAS doesn't convert GPAs to a uniform scale?

Also, how can your teachers still give +/-'s out if your school doesn't use that system?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's weird, but I believe our university keeps deciding, and then revoking their decision to use them. Teachers hand them out anyways, and some teachers will not begin to hand them out until it becomes official.

I believe your example about the +'s may be correct. That'd be so nice haha.

rjgennarelli said:
I have not applied to medical school yet. I was wondering whether and how AMCAS converts everyone's GPA to a uniform scale? In other words, say one student comes from a school that uses the +/- system (ie A, A+, B+, B, B-, etc.), another student comes from a school that uses the + system (ie A, B+, B, C+, C, etc.), and another student comes from a school that uses base grades only (ie A, B, C etc.). Does AMCAS (or the AMCAS application for that matter) apply any conversion to your overall gpa that can either increase or decrease it? For example, all A's, and A-'s would be converted to a 4.0, B+'s, B's, and B-'s would be converted to a 3.0, etc.

I think the AMCAS instruction book says that +s are worth .3 and -s are worth .7. So A- is 3.7 and B+ is 3.3

zurned said:
I think the AMCAS instruction book says that +s are worth .3 and -s are worth .7. So A- is 3.7 and B+ is 3.3

Yeah, but what I'm asking is what if you're from say a school that gives the +/- system. Does AMCAS do anything to convert your GPA and BCMP to a uniform scale so that it could be comparable to a, say, applicant with a GPA based on solely the + system?

If you ask me, it seems like those who are from schools that use the +/- system are at somewhat of a disadvantage to those who are at schools with solely the + system.

zurned said:

It actually depends on your school. For select schools, an A- is a 3.5, and a B+ is also a 3.5. I hope that isn't my school!

Turkeyman said:
It actually depends on your school. For select schools, an A- is a 3.5, and a B+ is also a 3.5. I hope that isn't my school!

That's ******ed. Then there is no sense in aiming for a higher grade unless it is an entire letter.

Edit: no offense to you turkeyman.

my school is weird about having +/- system. although i believe that our school doesn't use such a system, i got an A- for one of one of my classes (engineering econ). i ended up getting a 3.99 instead of a 4 because of that :rolleyes: I was told that classes that have a lot of sections incorporate the +/- system when grading. all my engineering classes have very few sections and never use the +/- system.

rjgennarelli said:
That's ******ed. Then there is no sense in aiming for a higher grade unless it is an entire letter.

Edit: no offense to you turkeyman.

Haha no prob, I'm just taking it verbatim from the AMCAS faq :D

edit:

AMCAS counts all "+" or "-" grades, even if your school does not. At some schools, a "+" or a "-" counts as n.3 or n.7, at others they count as n.5.

That's pretty much the basis of all the information I've been giving you in this thread hahah

The grading scale of your school (or schools) is taken into consideration. I don't believe there's ever a situation where A- = B+ on the AMCAS application for the same school. However, if your school goes by A, B+, B, C+, C, etc. or A, AB, B, BC, etc., then the grading will go in half steps (i.e., 4.0, 3.5, 3.0. 2.5, 2.0 and so on).

All the info you need should be on the last two pages here:
http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/conversionguide2006.pdf