How does attending an Post-bacc program vs Extension classes differ in helping your undergrad GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

ayjaystud

I graduated with an Electrical Engineering degree with a 3.10 GPA more than 7 years ago. I don't have any pre-reqs completed other than Physics and Calculus. In the process of completing pre-reqs, I feel my GPA needs to be raised to be a more competitive applicant.

With this in mind, how does attending a Post-bacc Pre-med program (e.g., USC Post-bacc) differ from taking Extension classes (e.g., UCLA Extension) in terms of affecting the undergraduate GPA? Do both routes directly affect them?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated with an Electrical Engineering degree with a 3.10 GPA more than 7 years ago. I don't have any pre-reqs completed other than Physics and Calculus. In the process of completing pre-reqs, I feel my GPA needs to be raised to be a more competitive applicant.

With this in mind, how does attending a Post-bacc Pre-med program (e.g., USC Post-bacc) differ from taking Extension classes (e.g., UCLA Extension) in terms of affecting the undergraduate GPA? Do both routes directly affect them?
They have equal impact. The only thing that matters to your gpa is your number of credit hours and your grades.

Both will affect your GPA in the same way.

You're right in assuming your GPA needs to be much higher to be competitive. But you should also be aware that even if you get As in all your remaining pre-reqs, it will only raise your GPA at most by 0.2-0.25, which still places you on the low end of competitive. If you haven't looked USC typically wants you to have a 3.25 (although they do state 3.0 as a cut off). This is because they know the bounds of what the courses will do for your GPA and how competitive you will be. Also, not sure if the program changed since I went there, but you need to take at least 6 classes in the program to get the LOR from Dr. Singer. So if you do USC, you won't have much flexibility to take Extension courses.

That said, I did 7 of my classes at USC, 2 at Extension and 1 at SMC and got in.

You have a bit of an uphill battle give your low cGPA, but it's not impossible. I would also take a look at DO programs since they offer grade replacement that could help improve your cGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback! Out of curiosity, why did you do 3 schools to take post-bacc classes (I'm assuming you finished your bachelor's elsewhere and not at UCLA/USC)?

Also, what was your GPA and MCAT when you got in to medschool?

Personally it's up to you. Like stated above, you can do both. There is a difference between doing it yourself or doing an actual program. That is, with taking courses one or two at a time on your own is going to be straight out of pocket. Programs allow you to obtain a fed loan in order to complete them.

There is one positive to your circumstance. You did not complete the prereqs for med school, so you are able to go through a "career-changer" program, which is better than those of us who did take all the prereqs in undergrad and got poor grades.

Take a look at schools that have linkage agreements, like Bryn Mawr or Goucher. There are tons of them, but mostly for career changers. If you do well, you can link directly into a school. It's pretty much an all or nothing effort.

Personally, I will be doing both. I have completed single courses, but I will be attending a post bac as well. I am going to have to ditch my current career this upcoming year to start a SMP, because I already took the undergrad prereqs.

Thanks for the feedback! Out of curiosity, why did you do 3 schools to take post-bacc classes (I'm assuming you finished your bachelor's elsewhere and not at UCLA/USC)?

Also, what was your GPA and MCAT when you got in to medschool?
No, I didn't do undergrad at either. I finished my undergrad in the mid-2000s. I'm a career-changer like @DeepFriedWater wrote about. I did USC because I wanted a structured post-bacc from a top university with resources to help me. I only did those additional classes at UCLA and SMC because USC is $1500/credit ($6K/class) and I had exhausted my remaining undergrad finaid. The ~$400/class at Extension and $190/class at SMC allowed me to afford it. I had a 3.95 at USC so I wasn't worried about any stigma from taking Extension or CC classes.

My sGPA was > 3.70. My cGPA was < 3.50. My MCAT was > 30.

No, I didn't do undergrad at either. I finished my undergrad in the mid-2000s. I'm a career-changer like @DeepFriedWater wrote about. I did USC because I wanted a structured post-bacc from a top university with resources to help me. I only did those additional classes at UCLA and SMC because USC is $1500/credit ($6K/class) and I had exhausted my remaining undergrad finaid. The ~$400/class at Extension and $190/class at SMC allowed me to afford it. I had a 3.95 at USC so I wasn't worried about any stigma from taking Extension or CC classes.

My sGPA was > 3.70. My cGPA was < 3.50. My MCAT was > 30.

Thanks for sharing. If I may ask, how was your experience at USC Post-bacc? I'm in the LA area and I'm considering UCLA Extension, but am also looking into formal post-bacc programs like USC, CSU-LA, and Scripps College.

EDIT: Also, was this a full-time program? Or were you able to work while attending?

Thanks for sharing. If I may ask, how was your experience at USC Post-bacc? I'm in the LA area and I'm considering UCLA Extension, but am also looking into formal post-bacc programs like USC, CSU-LA, and Scripps College.

EDIT: Also, was this a full-time program? Or were you able to work while attending?
It was half-time, 2 credits/semester, but you'll also do both summer sessions. I worked, but only because I was able to telecommute. I liked it, but my class did have a high drop-out rate - around 30% I think. There's no silver bullet to get you accepted. It really depends on not only your success in the class, but the strength of your LORs and your ECs. Being a half-time program, you should have plenty of time to volunteer.

LMU also has a program - http://cse.lmu.edu/centerforstudent...dvising/pre-medicalpost-baccalaureateprogram/