How does early decision work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icecoldstar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused on how early decisions work. I'm applying this cycle and already got my amcas verified and received a few secondaries.

1. Can I still apply for an early decision school?

2. I read somewhere that when you apply for ED, you can't apply to other RD schools at time same time until the decision from ED comes out in october. Is that correct?

ED= early decision
RD= regular decision

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why on earth would you want to apply ED if you're already verified? There's absolutely no argument in favor of doing ED other than getting verified quickly

Why on earth would you want to apply ED if you're already verified? There's absolutely no argument in favor of doing ED other than getting verified quickly

I don't know if that is true. You are probably(?) giving yourself an advantage at that school because you are giving them a guaranteed student. So that should help you...if they like you, right? If I understand the process and mindset of the ADCOM correctly, I always viewed EDP as like "doubling down" on that school.

Unless there is a very very compelling reason as to why you are applying ED to a particular school, don't do it. Its not like college admissions where you only have to submit the application early, and there is no risk to other applications if you don't get in. Applying ED for Med School and not getting in will sink an entire application cycle (October secondaries are way too late for the vast majority of applicants). ED may give a slight advantage, but it is by no means a guarantee unless you were already a lock for the school (which is pretty rare unless you are a 4.0 / 40+ URM). In fact most schools recommend not applying ED unless you have an absolutely compelling reason and are comparable to their median stats. Honestly, you might as well write personalized thank you letters after the interviews, and send letters of interest and intent to show that your commitment to that school. That's what I did, and it worked out very well =D.

Agreed with muddyduck7. Seems too risky IMO. Imagine getting rejected (and most people will be) and then having to continue that cycle in October, or even later. It's a recipe for disaster.