How does moving affect state residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bingutothetop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am potentially moving to another state after my college education, in the event that I apply again next year, am I considered instate for the new state med schools and no longer in state for my previous state? I have lived in the same state for my entire life, and am moving to a neighboring state. Most schools require 12 months and proof of residence, I just am not sure whether I am denounced from my previous state as an instate applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

It takes more than just existing in another to state to claim residency. Usually you prove your intent to make "insert state" your domicile by getting a drivers license, registering your car in that state, and/or registering to vote in that state. You need have at least two out of the three, and their date of issuance at least one year from the date classes start to prove residency. In my case, I worked and lived in one state for almost three years, however I was still technically a resident of another since my driver's license and car was still registered there. In about month or so I will be moving to another state and I am going register my car get a driver's license there in order to become a resident of that state. When I go to the tax collector office they probably will ask me to surrender my driver's license and cancel my registration. That is how you denounce your former residency.

Look up the state, because it varies. Some (Ohio) are liberal with their requirements. Others (NC) make you jump through hoops.