How does MSUCOM compare to the allopathic school on the same campus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Wyldstyle

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems really weird that Michigan State U has two schools: an osteopathic and an allopathic one. Does anyone know if they share the same facilities? Teachers? Curriculum? I know they both rank in the top 50 for primary care. What about respect for one another? Any input anyone?

wyldstyle2000

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to the allo school there this fall. I asked similar questions when I interviewed. I think that it is an incredible strength that there is an allo, osteo and vet school right next to each other (all being very highly rated) in fact it is the only school where this is the case (that I am aware of anyway). What an opportunity!

As for parity between the programs, CHM and COM students sit side by side in the same classroom during first year for Gross, Biochem, Molec Bio Genetics, Cell Bio, Phys, Neuro, Micro, Path, Pharm and Radiology. So the basic science curriculum is the same (I was told that the cut-off for passing may be different between students from each school, but I don't know that for a fact). There are a number of different classes first year as well, and second year and beyond they take their own paths (CHM starts PBL then, I don't know what COM does). Many, if not all of the facilities are shared. Tuition is the same for both schools. Block III (year 3 and 4) is also structured differently for each school.

In terms of respect. I was told that relations are quite good between the schools. I imagine that you will find jerks everywhere who shun the other philosophy, so there are probably some there as well. Personally, I wanted to take the allo route (did not apply to osteo), but I respect the other philosophy and look forward to practicing medicine with them. MSU offers an incredible opportunity for understanding and respect.

I thought that MSUCHM was such a special place that it was my first choice (in part because of the other schools) but I could go on and on... And although I know less about COM, it must be quite a special place as well.

Peregrin's comments are accepted widely at MSU at the COM (osteopathic) school as well. Respect is seemingly mutual between the classes, of course there will be students on either side that do not share this opinion.

Our curriculum differs slightly in the first year and greatly in our second year at school. The third and fourth year rotations are mostly the same, except for the first sixth months.

In our first year at MSU our basic sciences are together. At COM, we have a clinical skills class our first semester, learning to use our stethoscopes, opthalmoscopes, bp cuffs, and physical exam skills. By our second semester the CHM students begin their clinical skills classes and COM has their last formal clinical skills class where, amazingly enough, we perform our first male and female genital exams. Additionally, COM students have OMM (manipulation classes) each semester at school.

This summer COM students begin their first systems course- NMS (neuromusculoskeletal). This course refreshes our memory of gross anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, neuroanatomy, and OMM by packaging information in clinical applications lectures and labs. Great class for remembering material from the first two semesters and expanding on that information.

By the second year, CHM and COM split ways, unfortunately. It would be nice to hang out with our classmates for both years for the basic science portions. CHM like peregrin said is problem based learning modules (self-study units with recitations). In COM we have systems based lectures given 4 days a week for 4+ hours a day. Half of the Fridays in each semester are spent in a preceptors office, practicing our history and physical exam skills (learning to be more independent, basically).

In our third year, at COM, we spend either the first or second six months in PCAC (primary care ambulatory clerkship). PCAC is a way to reinforce the Osteopathic commitment toward primary care medicine. Basically, a student will rotate through the primary care fields in these six months in an ambulatory setting (outside the hospital-most of the time, must be 60% of the time).

Sorry for the long-winded post. Hope this aids your understanding of the respect shared and differences in the curriculums here at MSU.