How does my application look for the 2023 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrohazn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
CA ORM. Non traditional taking 2 gap years.

cGPA: 3.68

sGPA: 3.62

MCAT: 505, 512

Clinical experience:

1) ED Volunteer: 80-85 hours

2) Patient Care Assistant: ~1000 hours

3) Behavior Technician: ~400 hrs

Non-clinical volunteering:

1) Child Advocate - volunteer at nonprofit where I interact with recently abused children brought in by law enforcement before they talk with social workers and therapists in the interview room and/or medical exam if necessary: 450 hours

2) Domestic Violence Shelter Helpline & ChildPlay volunteer: ~200 hrs

3) School on Wheels Tutor: ~100hrs

4) Homeless Shelter Volunteer: ~280 hrs

5) Garden Educator Volunteer - work with nonprofit alongside garden educators in nearby elementary schools to assist with teaching environmental-based concepts: 35-40 hrs

6) Habitat for Humanity Construction Volunteer: 100 hrs

7) Child Abuse Blue Ribbon Committee member: 50 hrs

8) Crisis TextLine Volunteer: 250 hrs

9) Make-A-Wish: Wish Granter - this position has been postponed but I wanted to pursue this position if it ever becomes available for my application.

Research: ~ 300 hrs in Department of Chemistry. Part of a STEM outreach program where we collaborated with local K-12 schools to teach related science topics and to analyze the effectiveness of the program. Published one paper as a co-author.

In-N-Out associate: 1200 hrs

Members don't see this ad.

If it were me, I’d use your mcat to guide your school list at which point your exception ECs should make you a very strong candidate. Sprinkle in several reach schools where 512 is 25th percentile. Some schools look at mcat average, and others the most recent.

CA ORM. Non traditional taking 2 gap years.

cGPA: 3.68

sGPA: 3.62

MCAT: 505, 512

Clinical experience:

1) ED Volunteer: 80-85 hours

2) Patient Care Assistant: ~1000 hours

3) Behavior Technician: ~400 hrs

Non-clinical volunteering:

1) Child Advocate - volunteer at nonprofit where I interact with recently abused children brought in by law enforcement before they talk with social workers and therapists in the interview room and/or medical exam if necessary: 450 hours

2) Domestic Violence Shelter Helpline & ChildPlay volunteer: ~200 hrs

3) School on Wheels Tutor: ~100hrs

4) Homeless Shelter Volunteer: ~280 hrs

5) Garden Educator Volunteer - work with nonprofit alongside garden educators in nearby elementary schools to assist with teaching environmental-based concepts: 35-40 hrs

6) Habitat for Humanity Construction Volunteer: 100 hrs

7) Child Abuse Blue Ribbon Committee member: 50 hrs

8) Crisis TextLine Volunteer: 250 hrs

9) Make-A-Wish: Wish Granter - this position has been postponed but I wanted to pursue this position if it ever becomes available for my application.

Research: ~ 300 hrs in Department of Chemistry. Part of a STEM outreach program where we collaborated with local K-12 schools to teach related science topics and to analyze the effectiveness of the program. Published one paper as a co-author.

In-N-Out associate: 1200 hrs
Your activities are very strong. Your GPA and MCAT are a little below average for many med schools, but in the ballpark and average/slightly above average for many others. Choose your schools carefully, and also consider DO programs.