• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

how does one manage everything

Stagg737

7+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Gratuitous amounts of caffeine
tenor.gif

Edit: Thought we were talking about med school. For UG it's really not that hard. Study when you need to, volunteer/work when you've got time to, and set a couple nights a week aside to chill/have a social life. Freshman year was definitely an adjustment, but once you mature a bit there's more than enough time for everything OP listed. Unless you're gunning for 100% on every test, but if that's the case you've got bigger problems than time management...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
About the Ads

mistafab

5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2015
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Add on a little bit at a time to see what you can handle. My list of priorities are, in order of importance:

1. Grades
2. Self care
3. Service
4. Shadowing
5. Research

I like the term "self care" rather than social life. Self care implies that you are looking after yourself first, which may include being social. You need to take care of yourself no matter how you fill your time. I highly suggest that you resist the temptation to cut the things out that you "don't need" like being social, having fun, etc. You do need them, which is why on my list I take care of my grades and self care over anything else. Come up with your own mental list and see what is important to you. Add numbers to your list over time, and assess how your life is a few weeks after adding an item up on there.

Reactions: 2 users

Lannister

7+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Casterly Rock
  1. Medical Student
Assuming you're asking about med school...
Focus on studying.
Don't work.
Volunteer sparingly, and only when you actually care about the cause.
Others may disagree but I don't find shadowing in med school particularly fun or worth the time.
Can't comment on the social life, I'm a hermit.

Reactions: 1 user

Kkshake

2+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2016
  1. Medical Student
If a "social life" is that important to you, pick a person to study with. Two birds, one stone. That's about all the time you get for being social in medical school, so if it's already affecting you in UG that's not a good sign because balancing everything in UG was way easier....
In UG I only studied maybe an hour or two a day (sometimes a week)...med school ive been studying 8-12 hours a day

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Do it.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
  1. Medical Student
This is how you learn to prioritize. What matters most? Then what? Etc.

If your goal is med school, grades should be your number two priority. Your health should always be number one. If a social life is important to you, then you figure out when you can fit social activities in around studying and eating/sleeping. When you factor that in, plug research/volunteering/shadowing into whatever time is left over. If you don't have much time, then you prioritize again. The stuff that gets left behind is stuff you can push in when you make room (like in the summer where you don't have to worry about school).

This is not hard. You just have to do it.

Edited for grammar.

pugsessed

Jul 27, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
Maintain a schedule and stick to it! I worked 30-35 hours a week while maintains full courseload, volunteering and doing research. It can be done but you've got to prioritize your time. In the social life aspect, develop friends in school or work or volunteering. Hang out with them since their priorities will match yours. Find people who want the same things you do because you'll soon see that if y'all have the same end goal it can push each to do better. Not to mention it's great to have a study buddy!!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.