How does one rank both PC and Categorical for the same program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

in4mthsMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does one really need to have informed a program that one intends to rank both their primary care and categorical programs OR does one just do it? I am a little confused because I have strictly applied via the categorical route and I did not interview for primary care at any programs. Any takes on that would be highly appreciated. Best regards to everyone....and match day is st. patrick's day too!!!! Boy, do I envision some serious partying going on all across the nation that day.

Members don't see this ad.

The short answer is yes, but it is a little more than merely informing a program on what you intend to do. You usually need to interview for the primary care programs to be ranked by them. some programs have seperate PC programs with their own interview dates etc. then there are others where if you tell them on the day of your interview they will usually accomadate. there are a few , BU comes to mind, that rank all their canidates in CAT and PC.

usually if you interviewed for CAT you should only be ranking CAT. if in doubt you can usually call up the programs and ask.

in4mthsMD said:
Does one really need to have informed a program that one intends to rank both their primary care and categorical programs OR does one just do it? I am a little confused because I have strictly applied via the categorical route and I did not interview for primary care at any programs. Any takes on that would be highly appreciated. Best regards to everyone....and match day is st. patrick's day too!!!! Boy, do I envision some serious partying going on all across the nation that day.

I can't speak for all programs, but my impression at Brown and Dartmouth was that they are quite informal about the whole PC v. Cat business. Both PD's I met said that if you wanted to be considered for the PC track all you had to do was contact them and they would make a note. Dartmouth, like BU, has one big list for everyone so that the applicant's preference is the most important consideration. You don't have to interview with the PC Program Director(s) at any of the programs I interviewed at either, though it did turn out that way for me at BU and DHMC. But like bof said, best to call them up and check it out, before Feb. 23..