How does ptcas treat "academic fresh start"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptdreams100

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I took advantage of Texas's academic fresh start legislation to earn a bachelor's degree. Doing so allowed me to apply to a public university without having the college grades I earned ten years prior be taken into consideration. In other words, I was able to re-start college with a clean slate gpa-wise, which was great because ten years earlier I had done so poorly (at a different university).
I am now applying to physical therapy school to earn a dpt, and ptcas says I have to list all colleges attended. The pt school I wish to attend says that if I earned a bachelor's under Academic Fresh Start, only the grades earned for that degree will be considered (so the bad grades I got 10 years earlier at the other school wouldn't be looked at).
My concern is that ptcas does not seem to have any gpa-calculation system in place for students who went this route, so if I sent a transcript from my first school (where I did so badly), the grades on it would be factored into any gpa calculated, where, technically, they SHOULDN'T be. I don't know what to do. Should I just not send a transcript from my first school?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you contacted PTCAS to ask them? They are really good at replying to emails.
If they tell you to send them regardless, you can contact the school to let them know that way they know not to look at the PTCAS gpa, but calculate their own.

Hope that helps

If PTCAS requires you list your grades from 10-years prior, there is a section where you can explain your situation also.