How does someone from the Phillipines become a nurse in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamcatwoman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I hope that someone will be able to offer some advice.

My friend has just moved over from the phillipines. She has a diploma in management from the phillipines, but is now interested in becoming a nurse here in the US.

Her Aunt and other family members (who are currently nurses) have told her that to get into nursing school, all that she needs is her diploma from the Phillipines? How true is this?

Does she not have to have some sort of science background?

I am an MD, so not very knowledgeable about the criteria for entering nursing school. if she was to try to apply for med school, i know that she would have to do pre-med. I assumed that it would be similar for nursing school?

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not really familiar with the process, either, but I heard that Filipino nurses with a nursing degree from the Philippines have to take the US NCLEX. They need to pass that exam and also find an employer who is willing to employ them. It's their employers who can change their visa status (example: from tourist to working visa) Some hospitals will accept international nurses; some won't.

Your best bet would be to address this question at allnurses.com. They have a specific section devoted to the requirements for foreign nurses seeking US licensure. If your friend doesn't have a nursing license, then she would have to apply to an accredited nursing school, graduate and pass NCLEX-RN. She may be required to pass TOEFL as well.

Like I said, your best bet would be to take this question to allnurses.com.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll pass it on to her. She should be able to find out what she needs to do to get into nursing school from the schools.

Thanks!:thumbup:

Most nursing programs require a bachelors degree to do the accelerated version. Medical University of South Carolina has an accelerated program for people without a degree who have taken 2 years worth of college coursework. Depending on her background, courses, and how the US recognizes her diploma, there are various routes to go.

There are also ASN programs if she doesn't want to do a BSN at all, or not right away.

Most nursing programs require a bachelors degree to do the accelerated version. Medical University of South Carolina has an accelerated program for people without a degree who have taken 2 years worth of college coursework. Depending on her background, courses, and how the US recognizes her diploma, there are various routes to go.

There are also ASN programs if she doesn't want to do a BSN at all, or not right away.

If one has their green card is or is a citizen, perhaps.

If one is a citizen of the Philippines/does not have a "working" visa, one needs a Bachelor's degree. And there is currently, with retrogression currently in place, at least a two year wait AFTER getting a nursing degree, to get a Visa to work as an RN in the US. There is an extensive waiting list of people that have satisfied the above requirements to get to work here. Including MDs that have gone back to Nursing school because, even with the waiting list, it makes for easier immigration.

There can also be problems if someone comes over on a visitor's visa and tries to change status...as it may be seen as trying to evade the rules.

Suzanne at allnurses.com has extensive information on what the requirements are. Be very careful to do everything legit. The ICE agents (immigration) are cracking down seriously.

good to know, thanks for all the info, guys.

She will be a US Resident and has a diploma in Management from the Phillipines. I presume that she will have to go back to school here in the US to get a Bachelors?

Getting licensed in the US when one already has a license in another country is difficult to begin with; for someone who doesn't even have a license at all, it is even more difficult.

Just a suggestion: Since you are not yet in a nursing program, you might not want to continue dispensing advice about all aspects of nursing. I know you're enthused about becoming a nurse. But that doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. Which is why the OP was directed to go to a site that has specific information on the step by step process on on foreigners seeking a US license.

Just something to think about.

She will be a US Resident and has a diploma in Management from the Phillipines. I presume that she will have to go back to school here in the US to get a Bachelors?

Again, I would suggest you direct this question to www.allnurses.com. They have a moderator there who knows all the regulations/ins-outs on this issue. It is fraught with complexities.

Getting licensed in the US when one already has a license in another country is difficult to begin with; for someone who doesn't even have a license at all, it is even more difficult.

Just a suggestion: Since you are not yet in a nursing program, you might not want to continue dispensing advice about all aspects of nursing. I know you're enthused about becoming a nurse. But that doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. Which is why the OP was directed to go to a site that has specific information on the step by step process on on foreigners seeking a US license.

Just something to think about.

I think I clearly stated that it depends on her background and how the US recognizes her diploma. I was just stating that there are a wide variety of options, depending on how things went.

Nothing I stated was false - I verified everything by personally speaking to the schools. Apparently you don't approve of me giving advice that is true - maybe I should start giving false advice to please you?

Plus, my mother was an LPN for a long time and recently went back and did an LPN-BSN program and is now an RN and so while I didn't personally go through the program, I was right here with her the entire time.

I don't think I gave any false advice or promises about a foreign student coming into the US - largely because we were not provided with enough information on her status in the US and how the US recognizes her diploma.

I think I clearly stated that it depends on her background and how the US recognizes her diploma. I was just stating that there are a wide variety of options, depending on how things went.

Nothing I stated was false - I verified everything by personally speaking to the schools. Apparently you don't approve of me giving advice that is true - maybe I should start giving false advice to please you?

I think you should stop talking like an expert when you aren't even a nursing student yet. She doesn't have a nursing diploma, BTW.

You clearly don't approve of having experienced people telling you when you there may be a better approach. You might want to brush up on your reading skills; I never said what you posted was false. It was basically just not useful. This person needs guidance from someone who knows all the immigration details. Suzanne has guided many people through this process. Why not go straight to the source?

Good luck to you Laur, but do remember that just because someone takes exception or even corrects you in something, it is not a personal attack. I do believe that you need to dial it down a bit when it comes to giving advice--that's my opinion. I think you'd be great at giving advice about applying to schools, etc., but when you start giving advice about nursing specialties/careers, I have to wonder, since you haven't even made it to the classroom yet. I think people seeking that kind of advice need to hear from actual nurses.

All I was trying to get acrossed was that she might not have to get a US-based longer program to be a nurse. There are programs for people with some prerequisite courses to get a BSN in under a year. I was just trying to state that there are a lot of options for becoming a nurse here in the US, including potentially gaining a BSN in 1 year, depending on the coursework taken and how the US recognizes it.

I never claimed to be an expert or act like I know everything. I do a lot of research to discover things. However, I recently posted a quote from Case Western's website which I was told was completely false, so maybe I shouldn't take sources I believe to be credible as such.

I contacted someone from a local nursing program adviser who deals with immigrants/non-US citizens wanting to become a US nurse, but I'm afraid to post it now out of fear of someone accusing me of claiming to be an expert and/or getting bashed because the information I learned was false.

You may not have found anything I posted to be false, but for someone who may not know anything about methods of becoming a US based nurse, it could be useful.

Everything I state came directly from a school website or an employee of that program whom I spoke with directly.

Lauren, had you read my post thoroughly, you would have noted the positives that I said in it, instead of focusing on what is a fact: If you don't have experience/knowledge in something, it's really not a great idea to give the impression that you do. You can either learn this lesson now or learn it the hard way. Most people who have worked in health care have at one time or another learned that you can't have all the answers, and "Google isn't always your friend."

I think you have a lot of energy and enthusiasm, and that will take you far in your career. Good luck to you in your future endeavors. Since anything I say offends you, I will clumsily bow out of this conversation.

1. Just because I have not yet started into a nursing program does not mean I have not worked in health care.

2. I did not use random Google searches to find my information. I read information on the websites of nursing programs and then called the nursing programs personally to confirm the information and make sure I was interpreting it correctly.

You still missed the point... ;)

DocNusum, FNP, PA-C

I graduate the medical school from Europe(6 years), and I will like to became an RN here in USA ,because I am a permanent resident in Bellevue WA. one of the counsellors told me that I will need to take an English 101 and Math 105 assesment,but first of that I need to improve my math and english skills, could you tell me what should I do ?and were should I prepare for those assesments?I understood from Bellevue community college periodicals about a free tuition assistance for limited income adult who want to take those assesment.How could I get these assistance and I will like to knw about your opinions about taken nursing classes from a community college,is it enough 2 years of community classes to became an RN? thank you very much and hope that there aren"t so many questions...I just arrived from one month to USA and I got too many questions :confused:

I graduate the medical school from Europe(6 years), and I will like to became an RN here in USA ,because I am a permanent resident in Bellevue WA. one of the counsellors told me that I will need to take an English 101 and Math 105 assesment,but first of that I need to improve my math and english skills, could you tell me what should I do ?and were should I prepare for those assesments?I understood from Bellevue community college periodicals about a free tuition assistance for limited income adult who want to take those assesment.How could I get these assistance and I will like to knw about your opinions about taken nursing classes from a community college,is it enough 2 years of community classes to became an RN? thank you very much and hope that there aren"t so many questions...I just arrived from one month to USA and I got too many questions

Again, I would suggest you direct this question to www.allnurses.com. They have a moderator there who knows all the regulations/ins-outs on this issue. It is fraught with complexities.

The issue is not whether she is a resident. The issue will be on whether she has US citizenship or a specific green card, allowing her to LEGALLY work in the USA.

At last check, it was a minimum of 2 years and now, possibly up to a 5 year wait for nonUS citizens to come and work as RNs in the USA. That is after getting a Bachelor's. And ICE is coming down on people that come over on one type of pass and that attempt an AOS (adjustment of status) while here. They are looking carefully at whether they were trying to "sneak in" on one status, while pursuing another--even with best intentions. If suspected as such, they may be considered to have entered the US fraudulently and be subject to deportation, and there will be major issues with ever coming to USA again.

There are a lot (A LOT!!!!) of professionals from the Phillipines that are becoming nurses, as they have "preferred" working immigration status. But one has to be very careful.

Again, I suggest checking the previously suggested website, and also strongly suggest her seeing a lawyer that specializes in this.