How does this look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wohast

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduted high school, went to college instantly.

1st Year​
Fall semester 13 Credits (class name (grade)):
Chemistry A (C), Speach (B), English A (B), Anthropology (B), History (Withdraw schedule conflict).
2.75gpa at COLLEGE A

Spring semester: I was taking Biol A, Psych A, Math, and Hist. About three weeks into the semester i completely withdrew from all of my classes and the university. No medical reason, I just wanted to take a break from school and College A was like a 40 minute drive from my house and i hated going there now because of this. I could easily BS some reason having to do with parents divorce/hard times/relationship/time off to figure out what i wanted to do in life/blah blah blah.

2nd Year​

Fall semester: Planned on going back to COLLEGE A. Waited too long to register for classes and would have only been able to get crappy times/teachers. So i decide to take this semester off again. No good reason yet again but i guess i could still BS some reason like above. Still 2.75gpa at COLLEGE A.

Spring semester 9 Credits: Finally back and at a new college 10 mins away from my house. Everything from 1st college transfered over. Took a light load and just basic general requirement classes. My math was a remedial so not college credits...
Math (A), English B (A), Music (A), History (A), University (withdraw schedule conflict).

Summer semester 9 Credits:
Biology A (A), Pre-Calc (A)

3rd Year​

Fall semester 15 credits:
Biology B (A), Chemistry B (A), Physics A (A), Political Science (A).

Spring semester : Physics , Organic Chem , and two 3 credit major classes.

Summer semester : Organic Chem

As of right now this is what I have:
2.75gpa at COLLEGE A.
4.0gpa at COLLEGE B.
47 Credits Completed
Do all of the W's look bad? I withdrew from all classes one semester, and then there are two single W's in different semesters. Is this going to be a problem? How bad does this look when im applying to med school? Do my light course loads look bad too?

As you can see I was only at College A for one semester and I have a 2.75 there. At my new college I have been there 3 semesters and have a 4.0 (4 of the classes being pre med req science classes). Does this look ok and if i keep going at this rate will i have a good chance at getting into a US med school?

My years are all messed up as you can see, so when should I take the MCAT? based on the timeline i have up there.

I still dont have a major, but i do know that im not going with the typical biol or chem major. Going to do something different (possibly psych or s/thing with comp, maybe even business).

What other science classes, besides the premed reqs, should i take?

My dad is an allergist here in town and i work at his office during the summer and now during the school year. I am starting to volunteer at a hospital aswell and I plan to shadow one of the plastic surgeons in town during the summer. Im scared because of how I messed up early on and how I am behind now. I just need some reassurance that if i keep up the grades and do good on MCAT I have a good chance at getting into med school.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were an adcom I would wonder what happened those first two years, but I don't necessarily think it's going to kill your chances. Just keep getting those A's, and your GPA should rise pretty significantly in the next couple of years. Score well on the MCAT, get some rocking EC's, and come up with a fabulous reason for your academic failures toward the beginning of your undergraduate career, and you should be okay.

Good luck with the rest of your classes!

EDIT: Regarding the MCAT - I would say take it once all of your pre-req's are done. If you'll have Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Organic out of the way by next spring, I would say try to take it in Spring/Summer 2008. When are you planning on applying? That makes a big difference...

I should have all the science pre reqs completed by the end of summer 2008. i dont know when i should apply...fall 08/spring 09/fall 09/spring 10?

NYyanx - i kud kare less bout my spellins and wrytings...its just the internet buddy

Members don't see this ad :)
Speach (B)

-Maybe in addition to "speech" you should take a "wryting course".

Well there's only one application cycle per year. When are you planning on graduating? Spring 2009? If so, and you want to attend medical school beginning Fall 2009, then you would be applying in the spring/summer/fall of 2008 and interviewing in Fall-Winter 2008-2009.

I would suggest, however, that you wait to make a decision about when to take the MCAT and apply until you decide on a major and can map out the rest of your semesters. That way, you will have a better idea of when you will be finished with all of your classes and graduate.