How does your practise look like if you finish the EM/IM/CC residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kakarrott

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Exactly what a head of this post ask. I somehow have a hard time imagining how you can do all of those at once.

Members don't see this ad.

Many people practice EM & CCM. EMIM & EMIMCCM programs are typically designed around leadership positions, and graduates from these programs often do more than straight clinical practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Completed a 6 year EM/IM/CCM program in 2017. As Megawhizz stated these programs are for people who want to pursue leadership positions and want to be well positioned to leverage the additional clinical expertise and time for professional enrichment to launch administrative and leadership careers. I personally have been on the board of directors and am a current chair of a few committees for several national organizations. I am one year out of fellowship and have a CV of someone 10 years out. The additional time from an economic standpoint can be seen as a deterrent for people who want to go out and get paid ASAP but the leadership opportunities translate to higher earning potential later on. In terms of the economics I think it can end up working out if you take time to find the right opportunity. I know for a fact that between the EM and CCM practice that I have I make comfortably more than all of my categorical EM residency classmates and am personally fulfilled in my practice since as I get tired of one I transition back to the other. There are two hospital systems where I have worked an ED shift and due to need turned around and put on my Intensivist hat seamlessly. I still help with Hospitalist rarely when needed but with a wife and kids this part has been put on the back burner due to time constraints. I am also invited to sit on hospital and system wide committees due to my diverse background with understanding of multiple different perspectives

Bottom line is that EM/IM and EM/IM/CCM are outstanding training programs and if you aspire to do more than show up and go home it can open some serious doors professionally and personally. If you want to show up and then go home that is ok as well but by year 4 you might find yourself frustrated as your friends transition out.

Please check out the following for some additional details and some select profiles of some of the bosses of EM who did EM/IM. As you can see we span multiple levels of leadership and the training serves as a strong launching ground for diverse careers. You can get there from EM only with fellowship time but I think the many opportunities make a combined program an excellent option. My 2 sense. Hopes this helps

Combined residency training in emergency medicine and internal medicine: an update on career outcomes and job satisfaction. - PubMed - NCBI

Kessler Named VA's National Emergency Medicine Chief - Durham VA Health Care System

Amesh Adalja

Joseph R. Shiber, MD, FACP, FACEP, FAAEM, FCCM – Openventio Publishers

Winters, Michael | University of Maryland School of Medicine

Bond, Michael | University of Maryland School of Medicine

H. Bryant Nguyen, MD, MS
Division Head
John E. Peterson Professor of Medicine, School of Medicine
Professor of Emergency Medicine, and Basic Sciences, School of Medicine
Vice-Chair of Research, Department of Medicine
Medical Director, Medical Intensive Care Unit, Loma Linda University Medical Center
Medical Informatics Liaison Officer, Loma Linda University Medical Center
Research and Academic Interests: Severe sepsis, cardiac arrest, acute kidney injury, ARDS, hemodynamic monitoring, biomarkers discovery, percutaneous tracheostomy, patient-centered care, medical informatics, data analytics

Reactions: 5 users