Peds vs. Med-Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corali

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m an MS3 leaning towards doing a pediatrics residency, but am not sure I want to entirely give up adult medicine so I’ve been growing curious about med-peds as well. My school does a 3rd year research year and I’ve been working solely with kids for the past 6 months which has kinda made me forget what I like about adult medicine—I do want to try and squeeze a med-peds elective early into 4th year but am not sure if this will be feasible. I’d love to hear any advice from current med-peds residents who also struggled to choose between peds and med-peds and what convinced them to choose the latter!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m the opposite (initially thought I would do IM) but some things that factored into my decision making:
- had a whole existential crisis because I thought I might not end up seeing kids again. Decided the extra year of training was worth it just to ensure I got to see kids for at least four more years. Do you like adults enough to do the extra year?
- Is there any overlap/specific niche you’re interested in that might benefit from the well rounded training you get by doing both?

i would consider prepping to apply to both (essentially, prepare for peds plus find an IM or MP letter writer) and try to get an adult facing rotation early (at least before apps are due) to help remind you. If you decide you hate it, just drop the IM letters and apply only to peds programs. I

Reactions: 1 user
If you are on the fence at all I would do Med Peds, but realize you will most likely end up seeing adults because by the end of training you will probably not want to give up 5-6 figures to continue seeing Peds.

It’s ridiculous and not fair at all but Peds is probably the worst deal in Medicine, low pay, 3 year fellowships, hospitalist fellowship, ridiculous board pass rates.