how early is too early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CH3CH2OH

born to be wild-type
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know most ppl would probably recommend start studying for the MCAT around january of ur junior year or so, however, i feel like i have no chance anywhere w/o an absolutely outstanding MCAT score (first two years in a CC, no research yet, little volunteering and no clinical experience so far-definently will start next fall, when i transfer). do u guys think that starting studying in a few weeks (after spring quarter is over) will help me to really raise my score or is it just a waste or time?
i don't even know if a great mcat will be enough...i do have a very high gpa and will be transfering to a good school, will also have a year of volunteering (hopefuly in more than one place) before i apply...

hmm, maybe i should just come in peace with the fact that i'll probably have to take at least one year off :(

Members don't see this ad.

Stay sane, buddy.

Start with some clinical stuff (hospital volunteer, etc.) as soon as possible. Other than that, I wouldn't worry. If you must start studying for the MCAT this summer, then I would just leisurely read through some study materials. Whatever you do, don't study for 12 months straight - that is not a good idea.

Personally, I would just start with the MCAT studying in the Spring. I think you will agree once you realize how much studying for 12 months will suck. And there is a diminishing returns things to keep in mind as well.

You will definitely BURN OUT if you start too soon. Go to examkrackers.com. They have very good advice on how to go about preparing for the test. Believe it or not, they say 10 weeks is plenty. Maybe their audio osmosis CD would suffice that far out. But don't actually hit the books too soon. Do like the above poster suggested. Beef up your app. with volunteering, EC's, find something you are passionate about and do it. You will be happier for it...believe me.

ha i mean dont get me wrong i love ochem but enthanol as a user name.. man u may have me beat at being an ochem lover . sorry ur name just cracked me up... i would say 3 to 4 months is good or esel u get burned out

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Ramoray
ha i mean dont get me wrong i love ochem but enthanol as a user name.. man u may have me beat at being an ochem lover . sorry ur name just cracked me up... i would say 3 to 4 months is good or esel u get burned out

Umm..just to let you know that EtOH is another name for alcohol. They probably just enjoy drinking and this has nothing to do with ochem.

oh my look who is the real ochem nerd here.. what can i say ochem gets me going