How early to begin applying for jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jimfrombrazil

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just beginning my 4th year pharmacy rotations, and wondering when students generally begin applying for post-graduation jobs. I'm really only looking for a retail chain/grocery store position (either staff or PIC). I do have plenty of experience and consider myself a competitive applicant ... but I'm just not sure if its too early to begin sending my resume/CV around to companies and recruiters.

What do you think?
 
I'm just beginning my 4th year pharmacy rotations, and wondering when students generally begin applying for post-graduation jobs. I'm really only looking for a retail chain/grocery store position (either staff or PIC). I do have plenty of experience and consider myself a competitive applicant ... but I'm just not sure if its too early to begin sending my resume/CV around to companies and recruiters.

What do you think?

If you are focused on retail - use your rotations to develop your relationship - I was offered several positions through my rotations. In such a case - you lock in the job very early.

If you do not lock on a job early, it has become increasingly more difficult to get one immediately after graduation. You may hav to wait until you are fully licensed to apply for new positions.

The best jobs are usually targeted early on...
 
I'm just beginning my 4th year pharmacy rotations, and wondering when students generally begin applying for post-graduation jobs. I'm really only looking for a retail chain/grocery store position (either staff or PIC). I do have plenty of experience and consider myself a competitive applicant ... but I'm just not sure if its too early to begin sending my resume/CV around to companies and recruiters.

What do you think?

Apply NOW. STAT!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
start contacting people and applying in january, especially since you know you want to do retail. once match day comes (i think it was in april), you'll have to compete with all the people who didn't match.
 
start contacting people and applying in january, especially since you know you want to do retail. once match day comes (i think it was in april), you'll have to compete with all the people who didn't match.

Where I went to school, most retail jobs were taken by the end of December. People who wanted retail knew they wanted retail and applied early. People who went for residency and didn't match looked for hospital jobs, then anything they could get. Waiting until January would probably put someone into the "anything they can get" category of jobs.