1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

how easy is 3r

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by woodhorse22, Feb 26, 2007.

1. woodhorse22

woodhorse22 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I just got done with the AAMC 3r practice test on e-mcat.com. I got a 30 on it, so pretty happy especially since I scored a 21 on the real thing I took August 06. Is the 3r really that easy or have I improved significantly?

Those who took the real one, how accurate was the 3r?
    THANKS a lot

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, how much have you studied since August? How did your verbal compare?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gospe1

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    3R is rather easy but if you scored 30 it shows improvement. I took 3R and 8 days of each other and I got 38 on 3R and 36 on 8. However, realize that once you get up to 35s, missing 1 will lower your score a bunch. Not sure how that computes when your at 30

4. oxeye

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    3R was one of my higher practice test scores and I took it early on in my prep. I studied quite a bit between that test and the real thing and my score on the real thing was one point lower.

I'd agree that it is on the "easy" side for AAMC tests but I don't think the scale is horribly inflated.

5. OP
    OP
    woodhorse22

woodhorse22 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My verbal improved by 3 points... I had a 5 the first time around and got an 8 this time in 3r. However, I took the 3r last year also when I was prepping for the august MCAT, but I didn't go over my answer at all, so didn't remember them. Maybe that might have given me an edge.. :(. Well I am going to continue on working on verbal.. thanks for the comments though.

6. Dr OCD

Dr OCD Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    what about 5R in terms of difficulty?

7. docolive

docolive DOColive
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The Verbal, like most AAMC's is quite comparable to what you will have on test day. I think that exams 5 and 6 are similar in difficulty level. In the end, it's all relative, but once you get yourself comfortable in all areas of the MCAT, then all of the exams seem similar in difficulty level. I know that others will contest this, but that's how I feel about it. Somehow I thought that 9 and 10 were easier than exams, 3 and 5.

8. killinsound

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    5R is one of those which some people felt was extremely easy, some people felt it was very hard... you just can't tell.

9. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    All I know is 4R (took today) was the hardest PS of the AAMC Ive come across. Bio was right on par IMO.

10. Richter915

7+ Year Member

what do you guys mean by 3r? I just took the AAMC practice test 3 today and didn't do well at all so I dunno how you guys found it so easy. The curve was insane, I'd never done as good as I did on Bio and Physics until today (both above 80%) and that gets me a ten and eleven respectively.

edit: I took 3-CBT

11. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    4R was a nightmare. I scored my lowest on that one.

3R is easier, but I think it still has predictive power. I scored 1 pt. higher on the real deal than on 3R.

Verdict: 3R inflates your score, but with studying in between, you can easily hit or pass that mark.

12. killinsound

Resident [Any Field]
    so i've already studied alot, should I even bother taking 3R?

13. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown

Resident [Any Field]
    I would take it just for the sake of taking it yes.

I would plan on taking 7,8,9,10 closer to the real thing though.

14. killinsound

Resident [Any Field]
    I've done Kaplan 6 - 11, And AAMC 5,6... with about a month to go... Which ones do you think I should save towards the end?

15. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown

Resident [Any Field]
    save 8,9,10.