how easy is it to find a 2nd year spot if you match with a prelim spot?...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

satgyn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I am lil confused here as many of you are out there with ranking. I have finished one year of residency in another specialty and am switching to OBGYN. If I rank a prelim spot above categorical spot wrt location, how easy or difficult is it to find a second year spot?... I haved looked up ACOG clearing house and do realise that there are many 2nd year spots open. But, any idea how competitive it is to find a spot considering I have used up one year in doing another residency.. I am very confused and stressed here.. Any help or suggession is appreciated!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on deciding on OB/Gyn. I just wanted to inform you if you apply for a second year spot you likely will need to do an additional 1 year of residency (total of 5 yrs from what I understand you are in a prelim year now) as you will not have the skills to graduate in 3 yrs. Please realize this before you application. I would be happy to answer further questions please PM me
Diane

Thanks for the reply. Let me make it clear. I am applying for the first year spot in OBGYN and am appearing for match this year... So, my concern was if I take a preliminary OBGYN first year spot this match, how difficult is it to find a second year spot after finishing this prelim first year in OBGYN.... Currently, I am doing first year catogorical in another specialty and will be completing the year.. I am just worried how programs will take me next year for a second year spot in OBGYN considering I have done one year in another specialty and one year prelim in OBGYN.. I hope I haven't confused you.. But, I am just so anxious..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Satgyn. I'm actually in the same boat. When it comes to applying for a prelim spot and then trying for a pgy2 you probably wont have problems especially if you apply for a pgy2 at the institution you did the prelim. What specialty are you switching from. If you switch from surgery - 5 years- then you're covered financially for another four yrs after you finish this first year. So if you get a prelim spot and move to a pgy2 you'll be fine. However, if you go from IM - 3 yrs- to 4 then your last 2 years will be a problem.

OMG! :eek: Is the rate of attrition this high in other specialities?

Scary, but I guess we could look at the bright side in that if you are willing to put in the work, you'll end up in the specialty right for you, no matter what that is!

The only concern a program might have is why you are doing a preliminary spot instead of a categorical. If you did not match, that might cause some concern. If you didn't match because of bad advice and if you were counting on a particular program to rank you, then they may overlook that. If you have a good record then you should not have a problem getting a 2nd year spot.

I am doing peds. Just working hard to do and achieve what I am passionate about which is OBGYN. I was asking coz, due to location, I was goin to rank the prelimnary higher than categorical of the same program.. I mean, am ranking the program which is located in my preferance first but when it comes to the far off programs, I was wondering if I could do preliminary and then apply for 2nd year in a program which opens in the state of my choice... It would be difficult to transfer from a categorical program since I am facing enof problems now itself.... So, in this context, I was wondering how difficult it would be to find a second year spot next year once I do prelim.. My record is above average, not the best but no downside either.... My husband was suggesting me to rank the categorical higher and didn't want me to go thru the whole hassle of match again for 2nd year spot..But, he is not in the medical field, And so I was banking on someone to give me some suggessions... Hmmm, I am very confused...

I am doing peds. Just working hard to do and achieve what I am passionate about which is OBGYN. I was asking coz, due to location, I was goin to rank the prelimnary higher than categorical of the same program.. I mean, am ranking the program which is located in my preferance first but when it comes to the far off programs, I was wondering if I could do preliminary and then apply for 2nd year in a program which opens in the state of my choice... It would be difficult to transfer from a categorical program since I am facing enof problems now itself.... So, in this context, I was wondering how difficult it would be to find a second year spot next year once I do prelim.. My record is above average, not the best but no downside either.... My husband was suggesting me to rank the categorical higher and didn't want me to go thru the whole hassle of match again for 2nd year spot..But, he is not in the medical field, And so I was banking on someone to give me some suggessions... Hmmm, I am very confused...

Even though your hubby is not in the medical field, he gives good advice. You state that you are above avg., and I assume you are not in any trouble in your current pedi residency. I would just apply to categoricals if you interviewed this season. If not reapply for categoricals next year. Wait. I am confused you plan to scramble for this application cycle into either a prelim or categorical? If that is the case, I have no idea but I would try both and try categorical first.

Your first preference should always be a categorical position before a preliminary position. Hopefully you will match where you want to go and you will stay there for four years. If that doesn't happen and you match at a preliminary program then you should be able to a 2nd year spot. Unfortunately, there seem to be quite a few openings this year on the clearinghouse but that doesn't mean it will happen again next year. You want to go where you are going to get the best residency training possible and you may have to go somewhere that you might not consider geographically desirable.

I have a question regarding re-entering the match. I originally wanted to do OBGYN, however was somewhat limited geographically. I only ranked 5 programs, and did not rank my home school. Needless to say, I scrambled into a FM position, but I am remain passionate about completing an OBGYN residency. The FM chair at my program is aware of my desire, and is open to me entering the match again. I was just wondering how easy it to interview during intern year? Is it possible to enter into a PGY2 position from FM? The program I will be starting offers high track OB? Is it easier to find an off-cycle position vs. match position? Are there any specific suggestions you would offer regarding the match process the 2nd time around. I would really like to be in a specific geographic area, as I am getting married in a few weeks, and my husband to me is unable to move. Thanks in advance.

Hi I'd like to revive this last post with the question of, is it possible to enter into a PGY2 position from FM?

Hi I'd like to revive this last post with the question of, is it possible to enter into a PGY2 position from FM?

I don't see how you could. At the end of PGY1 in OB you are c-section and tubal trained, and the program will need and expect you to have those surgical skills. You will not get that training anywhere in FM in 1 year.

can anyone share any advice about reapplying into OB? what do programs typically look for? what can I do to make my application stronger?

There is a slim possibility, depending on the needs of the program accepting you and their willingness to work with you to give you the skills you need (and, I suppose, your willingness to take on extra training within the duty hour rules). The PD has the option to petition that your FM year be given an OBGYN training equivalency of 6 months. You could transfer into a program technically as a PGY 2, but you'd be off cycle and need to stay an extra six months to get your 48 months to sit for the ABOG written exam.

My program has done this, so I know it's possible. But the resident who transferred in needed a lot of extra help from faculty and upper-level residents in order to get up to speed. Everyone has to buy in that it's the best solution, and that's why it's rare for it to happen. It's a lot easier (and generally safer) to accept a transfer resident from another OBGYN program).