How easy is it to get in-state tuition with Rutgers (NJ)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is it easy / straightforward to get NJ residency status & get in-state tuition with Rutgers?

• Total voters

ihcneyugn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard MYD (Maryland) also allow in-state tuition after 1st year but it's virtually impossible to actually get it. I am afraid that it would be the same thing with Rutgers. If you know anything please let me know. I would love to hear all about it! I have been accepted to Rutgers which is my top choice if I get in-state tuition after 1st year. However if it's not likely that I will get it, I might have to consider the other school which is $70k cheaper than OOS Rutgers, but $35k more expensive than Rutgers IS tuition. It is not my top choice but the cheaper tuition alone is worth it. I really just ant to know how straightforward the process is, & will there be some unexpected requirement that might prevent me from actually getting the in-state tuition. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard MYD (Maryland) also allow in-state tuition after 1st year but it's virtually impossible to actually get it. I am afraid that it would be the same thing with Rutgers. If you know anything please let me know. I would love to hear all about it! I have been accepted to Rutgers which is my top choice if I get in-state tuition after 1st year. However if it's not likely that I will get it, I might have to consider the other school which is $70k cheaper than OOS Rutgers, but $35k more expensive than Rutgers IS tuition. It is not my top choice but the cheaper tuition alone is worth it. I really just ant to know how straightforward the process is, & will there be some unexpected requirement that might prevent me from actually getting the in-state tuition. Thank you!
Rutgers out of state to in-state tuition

This thread should help point you in the right direction

Reactions: 1 user