How exactly does Early Decision Admissions work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercerpharmacist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So I want to know how Early Decisions Admission in Pharmacy works exactly. I did some reading about it online, but I'm still confused about certain aspects of it. I still have a while before I will be ready to apply to Pharmacy School (2 years), however, I know exactly which Pharmacy school I want to go to (its been my dream for a while).

So if I apply Early Decision, can I still apply to other Pharmacy schools, knowing that I will attend my ED pharmacy school if accepted, but if not, then I will still have other applications active? The idea of just having my ED application active and being restricted from applying to other schools as a regular applicant seems risky in case my ED schools denies me.

Also, is it easier to get in as an ED applicant?

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

So I want to know how Early Decisions Admission in Pharmacy works exactly. I did some reading about it online, but I'm still confused about certain aspects of it. I still have a while before I will be ready to apply to Pharmacy School (2 years), however, I know exactly which Pharmacy school I want to go to (its been my dream for a while).

So if I apply Early Decision, can I still apply to other Pharmacy schools, knowing that I will attend my ED pharmacy school if accepted, but if not, then I will still have other applications active? The idea of just having my ED application active and being restricted from applying to other schools as a regular applicant seems risky in case my ED schools denies me.

Also, is it easier to get in as an ED applicant?

Many thanks!

You can apply to other schools after your ED school releases you from your contract. More specifically, most pharmacy schools only accept applications through PharmCAS which only lets you apply to ONE school if you're applying ED. It's honestly not as risky as it sounds. They release you from their hold late October, which is still fairly early when it comes to applying to pharmacy schools. I highly recommend regardless of whether you apply ED or regular to get your entire application done by the ED deadline. This allows you not to stress about applying on top of your normal coursework.

Reactions: 1 user
You can apply to other schools after your ED school releases you from your contract. More specifically, most pharmacy schools only accept applications through PharmCAS which only lets you apply to ONE school if you're applying ED. It's honestly not as risky as it sounds. They release you from their hold late October, which is still fairly early when it comes to applying to pharmacy schools. I highly recommend regardless of whether you apply ED or regular to get your entire application done by the ED deadline. This allows you not to stress about applying on top of your normal coursework.

Awesome, thanks so much for your reply. My goal is to apply ED to my top choice and have my whole application done by then anyways. This answer really helped! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, thanks so much for your reply. My goal is to apply ED to my top choice and have my whole application done by then anyways. This answer really helped! Thank you!
No problem. I did exactly what I said in my comment and was accepted to my ED school (also saved money from not applying to more schools, Yay!)
I forgot to address your last questions, but ED does increase your chances of getting accepted. You will more likely to be accepted because you're locked into that one school, therefore, you guarentee to them that they will have X amount of spots filled. In addition to this, as the year goes on more and more seats fill up which makes receiving acceptances more competitive. When you apply ED you're applying with the most available spots open, which means that the school will try to fill those spots ASAP.
Also, I think there's a financial aspect to ED. By applying, and getting accepted for ED you have to go there, they don't have to offer scholarships, benefits, etc. in order for you to attend vs. another pharmacy school. Basically, there's no competition between pharmacy schools for certain students in ED, whereas for regular decision, pharmacy schools will have to incentivize students to go to their school.
Hopefully that makes sense :)

I think it's smarter doing ED, saving $$ and slightly increasing your chances of getting in :flame:

No problem. I did exactly what I said in my comment and was accepted to my ED school (also saved money from not applying to more schools, Yay!)
I forgot to address your last questions, but ED does increase your chances of getting accepted. You will more likely to be accepted because you're locked into that one school, therefore, you guarentee to them that they will have X amount of spots filled. In addition to this, as the year goes on more and more seats fill up which makes receiving acceptances more competitive. When you apply ED you're applying with the most available spots open, which means that the school will try to fill those spots ASAP.
Also, I think there's a financial aspect to ED. By applying, and getting accepted for ED you have to go there, they don't have to offer scholarships, benefits, etc. in order for you to attend vs. another pharmacy school. Basically, there's no competition between pharmacy schools for certain students in ED, whereas for regular decision, pharmacy schools will have to incentivize students to go to their school.
Hopefully that makes sense :)

That clarifies all of my questions. Thanks so much! I feel happy for you that you got into your top choice school! I can't imagine how happy you would have been. Congradulations to you! Obviously a whole lot of work was behind that... I get what you're saying and it makes a lot of sense now. I think I'm going to go for it and apply to my top choice ED school for sure. I really appreciate all of your help and wish you all the best in your Pharmacy career!