How exactly to define downward trend GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeman25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For instance, if someone was to have GPAs of 4.0, 3.9, and 3.85 over the span of three consecutive semesters, is that still a downward trend?

The reason I am asking this question, while it may sound like minutiae, is because I know that having an upward trend going into the application cycle is very important. So are those three sets of GPAs really so distinctive as to entail a "downward trend"? I guess I am worried about how exactly this GPA trend will be looked at because I am one of those applicants where my GPA will be at the cusp.

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.85, the lowest of the 3 GPAs, is still a very good GPA--above average at many (most) schools. Thus I wouldn't worry about it. I would emphasize that maybe your first 4 semesters averaged a 3.5 and your last 4 averaged a 3.9, and in that way actually call it an upward trend.

The point is you became an overall better student.

The difference between a 4.00 and a 3.85 is a B+ in one class instead of an A. It's not going to hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you GPA is on the cusp, then a overall trend is beneficial. There isn't enough deviation on the last three semesters to be concerned. Strictly speaking, for those three semesters, it is a downward trend, but not one that matters since your grades are still solid. Based on your other comments, I am betting that it would still be considered an upward trend overall.

It sounds to me like you performed really well your freshman year and then kept challenging yourself throughout your undergrad career and STILL managed to perform very well. Nothing sketchy here.

Interesting. By any chance are downward trends or upward trends common?

Interesting. By any chance are downward trends or upward trends common?
Downward vs upward trend is only important for low-ish GPAs. If your overall GPA is high, no one will care whether your first or your last semester was your worst. The need for an upward trend is only true when you have a low GPA you need to make up for. If your GPA is good, you don't have to worry at all.

There is no real way to know what is more common, I am not aware of any actual statistical data that would indicate this.

If an applicant has a good GPA, adcomms may never microanalyze the transcript for trends. If an applicant has a lower GPA and enough other positives that make them a desirable candidate, the transcript is likely to be examined closely to look for evidence that the person will thrive in an academic pressure cooker like med school. If the GPA is low in recent terms, an adcomm could not help but be concerned that the candidate has external issues that might make adequate performance in med school problematic.