how far back do you go on your CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morgantaylor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of updating my CV to apply for externships and residency...how far back do you go in the info you provide in it? My dental school experiences fill it out pretty well, but at the same time, I did a lot of stuff in undergrad as well. I've seen some people go as far to list high school activities (ASDA National Leader apps to name a few), but in reality, does anyone care what you did in high school? Just wondering everyone's take on this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that if the info is important, then you should include it. My CV is organized into the following catergories, and then the items in each catergory are in chronological order (obviously):

-------------
1. Education, Activities, and Honors (dental school listed here, as well as undergraduate school, along with degrees earned).

2. Special experience (List experiences outside of things done associated with school that are pertinent to your qualification for a residency or other position)

3. Professional experience (List any professional experience (teaching, dental office employment, etc that shows additional qualification for or exposure to the field)

4. Research (List any research experience that you’ve had here. If you’ve been published, list publication here or in separate “PUBLICATIONS” section)

5. Professional presentations (List any formal presentations that you’ve made to professional groups; i.e. table clinic presentations, lectures, etc., along with any resulting awards)

6. Continuing education (List continuing education courses attended, most recent first)

7. Professional societies

8. Personal interests, hobbies, etc.
----------

So for me, the high school activity, if important to the CV, could go in any number of catergories. The ASDA National Leader would most likely go under #7, if I were listing it.

I hope that helped somewhat. I know that those organizational catergories helped me in compiling mine. And, I literally list each of those catergories on my CV (minus the numbers of course).

its best to make sure that your most impressive accomplishments make it on the first page. Unfortunately people often won't make it past the first page. Using galvin's template style will not suite you well. Don't do it cooki-cutter fashion.