How far down your rank list did you match? Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How far down your rank list did you match?

• #1 Rank

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • #2 Rank

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • #3 Rank

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • #4 Rank

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • #5 Rank

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • #6 Rank

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • #7 Rank

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • #8 Rank

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • #9 Rank

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • #10 Rank

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

NeurologyHopeful2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
To ease the neurotic waiting game - and to help out future generation of applicants, I would like to make a poll to determine what % of applicants match their top 1, 2, 3..etc choices.

Neurology residents - please kindly report (of course this is anonymous) how far down the rank list you matched - thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Dear neurologists/neurology residents contribute to this survey. So far, I'm pleased with the votes.

Reactions: 1 users
Out of 10 residents voted so far - no one got below no. 2 rank? Thats too good to be true!

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoever matched no. 8 rank - are you IMG or AMG - please PM me - and I will let the public know while keeping you anonymous!

Reactions: 1 user
As you probably know, it really doesn’t matter whether if the person who matched at their 8th rank is an IMG or AMG because the sample size on this is too small to mean anything. I guarantee that there are AMGs who match that low anyways. Also, there is a high level of selection bias considering the population you are surveying on SDN who continue to go back and read the neurology threads. Nevertheless, it’s still interesting enough to stave off boredom especially when waiting for your match.

You jinxed the poll by saying the votes were too good to be true. There you go!

Agreed - there are AMGs who rank >16 or more programs in neurology and go unmatched - according to 2016 Charting the Outcomes.
The stats are still useful - if 20 people polled and all but one matched top 3 - that is assuring.

Hmm this poll is very promising. Hope it holds true as I've had no response yet to my LOI. -.-

No reply either on my end.

I am pretty skeptical of the poll.....even IMGs all matched top 3? I am ignoring the no. 8 rank outlier.

So that means ~95% of people got their top 3 out of >20 people when you take out the false #10 result...That is super encouraging.

Last edited:
So that means ~95% of people got their top 3 out of >20 people when you take out the false #10 result...That is super encouraging.
Yeah. Honestly, I’d throw out the #8 one too.

Results are encouraging so far. Hope the results apply to IMGs as well.

Now that lists are submitted, let's hope everyone gets their top choice, or at least top 3.

Also, let's add our results to the poll.

Happy to report I matched neuro.

Congrats to all who matched.

For those who didn't, don't give up. 19 spots are still unfilled. Get them.

Let's not forget to update the poll on Friday. I want to see many matched top choices.

The results closely resemble those published by NRMP. It was indeed a competitive, yet very doable, year for neurology. Glad to see the increase in interest in this great field :) Good luck to everyone!