How far will you be from "home"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SugarNaCl

Dental Student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how far away from the place you currently call "home" or where you were born/raised you will be when you attend dental school both realistic and optimistic?

For me, my first choice is my optimistic choice. VCU. Richmond from my hometown of Buffalo is about 557.16 miles.

Members don't see this ad.

After having been away for seven years, I will be returning to the area where I was raised and my family still lives! Only about 10 miles from school!! Home cooked meals!

Orange County to Cleveland = ~2300 miles.... and i can't wait!!! =)

Members don't see this ad :)
chicago to nyc...i dunno....far i guess, but not "too" bad.

Phoenix-Louisville 1700 miles!

LA to NYC That's a whole continent away.

southern oregon to baltimore, ~2800. beat that suckas

but my parents now live in maryland so I guess its kinda home back there

Well, if I decide to attend VCU then according to mapquest, about 4,400 miles from my hometown in Alaska. We did the drive in about 8 days.

I think I win.

Well, if I decide to attend VCU then according to mapquest, about 4,400 miles from my hometown in Alaska. We did the drive in about 8 days.

I think I win.

isnt there a nice school in russia that'd be closer for you? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
about 40 miles from the house in which I was raised and about 500 miles from where my heart will be left.

Only about an hour. Half mile from the San Diego/OC border to right near LAX. Boooooooo!

40 minute ride on the Long Island Rail Road to NYC

being from ohio i dont think you should be so excited about the move from orange county to cleveland....i will be joining you and i am not excited about how i will have to endure even more snow in the winter

Just north of San Francisco is my Home, and I will be going to school in Philadelphia, so about 2800 miles. All the way across the US.

AZ to Cleveland, 2007 miles. How appropriate.

South suburbs of Chicago to Manhatten. Hopefully I'll be out there by the start of summer, August 1st at the latest.

17 miles and about a 35 minute drive

south ogden to philadelphia....2137 mi.

I think I win.

Dang...you are from Alaska? That's so cool!!!

Corona CA, to Philly... A long ass way... I don't mind the move, but I know the weather there is gonna kill me.
Tommorrows forcasts:
Corona: 72*/41* Sunny 0% percipitation
Philadelphia: 36*/15* Wintry Mix/Wind 100% percipitation :eek:

Detroit area to Morgantown, West Virginia so about a 7 hour drive from where I live.

By they way if you are moving from a warm climate to the NORTH...haha good luck the weather can get really cold in the north. In Michigan the other day we hit about -20 degrees with the windchill! Ouch plus lake affect winds and snow around U of D, Marquette, U of M, and Cleveland.

Being from the north I definately want to head south for some warmer weather! But those are all great schools.

Cedar City Utah to Philadelphia ~2,300 miles!!!

cali to boston, 3100 miles

0.0 miles. I will be commuting the 45-50 miles to school:eek:

Either 6667 miles or 8331 miles! :D

Phoenix to San Francisco is about 760 miles.

washington dc to philli - 300 miles
or...just maybe...
wash d.c. to richmond- 100 miles....

hopefully the latter!!!

Miami to Washington Heights(NYC)

1297.01 miles

isnt there a nice school in russia that'd be closer for you? :)

Yeah probably, but I don't speak Russian and there's more mosquitoes in Russia.

2915 miles From NYC to San Francisco..

While were on the subject of long distance moving, what are you guys planning to do with your stuff? Im seriously considering getting rid of anything that cant be shipped in a box or put into luggage.

According to Google Maps, it is exactly 301 miles door-to-door between my home and my dental school. Not too shabby ...

san francisco to las vegas. 8 hour drive...not bad

4 hour drive

Between 15 and 20 minutes. Currently I'm a 14 hour drive away from my home town.

Dang...you are from Alaska? That's so cool!!!

I like to think so. I think it gave me a leg-up as far as having a unique application.

Dang KOM, that's crazy that you are that far away! so have you been accepted to any other schools beside VCU?

But of course, who wouldn't want an Alaskan what with the whole dental therapist controversy up there? JK...quite a few actually.

Speaking of which, I wonder what's going on right now with that - haven't checked in quite some time.

Whacks bassman :mad:

I thought you said you wanted to be in Virginia because of your husband!?!?

Do you really want to exchange acceptances because I really wanted to hear from VCU and haven't heard a peep? I'd have to go see the school of course, first...

I thought you said you wanted to be in Virginia because of your husband!?!?

Do you really want to exchange acceptances because I really wanted to hear from VCU and haven't heard a peep? I'd have to go see the school of course, first...

HAHA... you are such a sweetheart! I'm happy with VCU. With my husband, we do have to be down there and to be honest VCU is a better fit for me personally. I will miss my family though...and even if I didnt end up attending UB... it would have been nice to have been accepted by them. That being where I graduated from, it's sort of insulting to not even be seriously considered...and told that flat out. I'm just bitter, not upset. ;)