How flexible are most med schools with their English Requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yobot

A Jordan Head
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered this. I've taken a quarter of English, but have done many Honors and humanities classes where expository writing and 3 essays are the norm. Are most schools pretty flexible or have you come across a situation where you absolutely had to take a year's worth of English?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take it from me. Check with the individual school about any classes you're unsure about. I'm going through this hell right now b/c my premed advisor promised me that a particular course would be accepted as English, but its not. I'm getting ready to sue them now. Check for yourself; don't trust any bonehead advisor.

vr4nut said:
Take it from me. Check with the individual school about any classes you're unsure about. I'm going through this hell right now b/c my premed advisor promised me that a particular course would be accepted as English, but its not. I'm getting ready to sue them now. Check for yourself; don't trust any bonehead advisor.

Don't tell me that, vr4. I'm here at Mizzou as well, and they told me the WI's would be accepted. If not, I'm going to lose 3 hours of electives. That would really tick me off.

pretty damn strict.
i know from personal experience...even the smallest thing that might suggest it wasnt an english course...they will ask for proof.

your argument needs to be pretty convincing to get them to give you a chance to believe you.

I don't think it's super strict. I used one semester of shakespeare and one semester of a course that had heavy writing for english req which was technically a humanties course. No questions were ever asked

I used a semsester of a seminar on Victorianism and a semester of intro to philosophy. At my school both of the classes were designated as writing intensive and I had no problems using those courses for my English requirement. One interviewer asked me about it and I explained the writing intensive component and she understood. I got accepted to that school so it seems that there are not too strict about it.

UseUrHeadFred said:
Don't tell me that, vr4. I'm here at Mizzou as well, and they told me the WI's would be accepted. If not, I'm going to lose 3 hours of electives. That would really tick me off.

You mean you're going to Med school at Mizzou? If so, I think they will automatically accept any WI course. I'm going to med school in a different state.

I'm applying to several schools. I may end up going to Mizzou, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up elsewhere. If so, I hope they don't make me take another english class!

TheRussian said:
At my school both of the classes were designated as writing intensive and I had no problems using those courses for my English requirement.

Is there a way to designate Writing Intensive courses on the AMCAS?

My memory is a bit foggy on that, maybe someone else remembers better. I can tell you that for a lot of the secondaries you have to indicate which courses you used to fullfil the requirements so you can indicate it on the secondaries. Also the official transcript should indicate that the class is writing intensive.

they are not flexible!

i went to a very writing/critical thinking intensive college and worked for a year afterward helping write/edit a book that eventually won a national book prize bronze medal, but i still had to take english 1a and 1b at community college 3 years later to satisfy the requirements.

if it's not in the english department, it doesn't count.

writing intensive courses outside the english dept don't count, even if they satisfy your college requirements.

practical experience, no matter how impresive, does not count.

DrWuStar said:
they are not flexible!

i went to a very writing/critical thinking intensive college and worked for a year afterward helping write/edit a book that eventually won a national book prize bronze medal, but i still had to take english 1a and 1b at community college 3 years later to satisfy the requirements.

if it's not in the english department, it doesn't count.

writing intensive courses outside the english dept don't count, even if they satisfy your college requirements.

practical experience, no matter how impresive, does not count.

They were flexible enough for me...

Here's the deal. If you are unsure of whether or not your classes count toward the english requirement, contact the schools you want to apply to and find out from them. I can tell you from my experience they are flexible, others claim they are not so the solution is find out for yourself.

How do people get that they are inflexible. The ones I used were Russian Lit and a European History course with a couple of extra papers. I was a social sciences major, so maybe that helped, but I never took a course in the English department...ever. But, check if it will calm you down.