How Good Are My Stats?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MSUPharmacy2012

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,
Just wondering how my stats look for a Top of the Line Pharmacy School.

Undergraduate GPA - 2.61 (B.S. Human Biology)
Graduate GPA - 3.3 (Master's in Pharmacology and Toxicology)
PCAT
Verbal Ability - 78%
Biology - 95%
Reading Comprehension - 81%
Quantitative Ability - 61%
Chemistry - 76%
Composite - 85%

I have done two Mission trips (not exclusively for Pharmacy) that involved pharmaceuticals.
I have shadowed 3 Pharmacist's for around 20 hours (Already have scheduled more)
I am retaking classes I did poorly in, so I should have a boost in my undergraduate GPA and in my Graduate GPA after this Fall.
My LOR's are from two Pharmacist's (one was previously the Director of Pharmacy at our hospital in Grand Rapids) and one from a health professional (from one of my trips, Director of a Pediatric Unit in a hospital).

I know my GPA is low (retaking classes) and it doesn't look competitive, but I feel like my PCAT score and the fact I am working on a Master's in a related field will hopefully overshadow those.

Thoughts?
 
BTW - I am planning on applying to the following schools.

University of Kentucky - (Early Decision)
Hawaii
University of Michigan (In State)
University of North Carolina (Stretch school, Really good family friend attends undergrad. there)
Regis University

I am still contemplating Wayne State and Ferris State because they are both In State schools, but I am not 100% sold on them.

Thoughts on other schools to apply to as well?
 
IMO a low GPA has many causes; you might have been lazy during your early college years, went to a tough college and had trouble adapting to the college study habit, had personal issues etc etc (not trying to say that these affected you, but rather just giving some examples). The PCAT is standardized and puts everyone on the same playing field. So in a sense, it can potentially cover up part of a lacking GPA. I'm a firm believer in this.

I believe that with your stats, you'd be able to get into a pharmacy school. I don't know the specifics for any of the schools you're applying to since I'm not applying to any of them, but I'm sure you'll land yourself somewhere.
 
IMO a low GPA has many causes; you might have been lazy during your early college years, went to a tough college and had trouble adapting to the college study habit, had personal issues etc etc (not trying to say that these affected you, but rather just giving some examples). The PCAT is standardized and puts everyone on the same playing field. So in a sense, it can potentially cover up part of a lacking GPA. I'm a firm believer in this.

I believe that with your stats, you'd be able to get into a pharmacy school. I don't know the specifics for any of the schools you're applying to since I'm not applying to any of them, but I'm sure you'll land yourself somewhere.

Thanks for your response!

Just being curious, what schools are you applying to and why?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering how my stats look for a Top of the Line Pharmacy School.

I know my GPA is low (retaking classes) and it doesn't look competitive, but I feel like my PCAT score and the fact I am working on a Master's in a related field will hopefully overshadow those.

While your PCAT is average/above average, your undergraduate and graduate GPA is rather low/below average. This could say you are a good test taker and/or are very lazy/struggled in college against their peers. It could also say you had many personal problems and had problems overcoming them. I'm not saying this is you but that was my initial impression seeing your stats.

Also, many schools do look at just undergraduate GPA (pre-reqs) and can disqualify you based on that alone without looking at your graduate GPA. With that said, you do have some rather good extracurricular activities but you do have a chance of getting in somewhere (may have to apply extremely liberally).

Do you have a chance to get in a top of the line school?
If you mean top ranked (i.e. UCSF, UT-Austin, UW-Madison), its going to an extremely difficult uphill sprint.
 
While your PCAT is average/above average, your undergraduate and graduate GPA is rather low/below average. This could say you are a good test taker and/or are very lazy/struggled in college against their peers. It could also say you had many personal problems and had problems overcoming them. I'm not saying this is you but that was my initial impression seeing your stats.

Also, many schools do look at just undergraduate GPA (pre-reqs) and can disqualify you based on that alone without looking at your graduate GPA. With that said, you do have some rather good extracurricular activities but you do have a chance of getting in somewhere (may have to apply extremely liberally).

Do you have a chance to get in a top of the line school?
If you mean top ranked (i.e. UCSF, UT-Austin, UW-Madison), its going to an extremely difficult uphill sprint.


Thanks for weighing in!

Everywhere I've looked, an 85% PCAT is pretty solid. It's definitely competitive if not excellent to all the schools I've looked at applying. I really want to go to Kentucky, and I would consider them a top of the line school. What are your thoughts on me going there?

I spoke with their admissions several times, official visits/tours twice and am retaking/doing everything they have instructed me to do.
 
Hey all, just added up my Extracurriculars. I have about 400 hours, between clubs, trips, and volunteer work. I have about 20 hours of Pharmacy shadowing between 3 Pharmacists (more if you include the trips). I am not sure if I should include my work in my Fraternity, but that adds up to over 1,000 hours (and includes Philanthropic work).

Also, Work Experience, 5 different jobs since 2006. I have over 2,000 hours easily with all the jobs. I am not sure if I should list the Dentist's I shadowed (10+) in my shadowing. I don't have 20 listed items, so I am thinking I will put them at the bottom? Thoughts?
 
Hey all, just added up my Extracurriculars. I have about 400 hours, between clubs, trips, and volunteer work. I have about 20 hours of Pharmacy shadowing between 3 Pharmacists (more if you include the trips). I am not sure if I should include my work in my Fraternity, but that adds up to over 1,000 hours (and includes Philanthropic work).

Also, Work Experience, 5 different jobs since 2006. I have over 2,000 hours easily with all the jobs. I am not sure if I should list the Dentist's I shadowed (10+) in my shadowing. I don't have 20 listed items, so I am thinking I will put them at the bottom? Thoughts?
From what I understand, University of Kentucky has a good pharmacy school and also University of North Carolina has a good pharmacy school. I have a question for you, since you did extremely well on the biology section is there any advice that you have on studying for that section? I am weak in the A & P subsection.
 
You really didn't answer my question whatsoever (WOMP WOMP).

Honestly, I outlined each chapter in the Kaplan Blue Book. After EXTENSIVELY reviewing my notes, I reviewed Dr. Collins(which was a breeze at this point). I then did every practice question in my possession. When I started seeing 80-99% consistently and 11-12 right on Bio each time, I knew I was in good enough shape.
 
Thanks for your response!

Just being curious, what schools are you applying to and why?

I plan on applying to Midwestern U, California Northstate U, UOP (iffy on this one), Western U, Roseman U, U of NM, Pacific U, LECOM-Bradenton, Nova Southeastern U, Palm Beach Atlantic U, U of South Florida, U of F, Albany College of Pharmacy, D'Youville College and U at Buffalo-SUNY.

There's a good reason why I'm applying to 14 schools; my overall GPA is only a 2.9. My initial thoughts are that I'll get flat-out rejected at UOP and U of F since both schools are highly competitive.