How good is Tufts Med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moneybadger69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title. As of 2018; previous threads are rather old. I'm genuinely curious. I think if I were to get in hopefully I will go regardless of these answers, however haha. I just want to know what word on the street is, because although the rankings, which are of limited importance, say Tufts is ~50 or so, I know the Tufts name carries a very strong weight.

Members don't see this ad.

The name carries weight because of how strong their undergrad program is. Their med program is solid mid tier, but not on the same level as their strong undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who has been in Boston all my life, they've definitely been doing what they can to try and strengthen their name. I think it's hard with Harvard and BU right around the corner, that people just don't tend to think about them the same way. But I'll also say from personal experience, as an applicant, that I didn't like their program all that much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Title. As of 2018; previous threads are rather old. I'm genuinely curious. I think if I were to get in hopefully I will go regardless of these answers, however haha. I just want to know what word on the street is, because although the rankings, which are of limited importance, say Tufts is ~50 or so, I know the Tufts name carries a very strong weight.
Fine medical school. I'd group it with Jefferson and Wake

Reactions: 1 users
Upper mid tier IMO. They are underrated. If you look at residency director scores, they were given 3.6 (same score as prestigious schools like Mt. Sinai). They tend to match very well too.

It's a bit above average. Probably a bit better than Georgetown and a bit below Hofstra. My point is you can't determine the quality of a med school by looking up its undergraduate ranking.

As someone who has been in Boston all my life, they've definitely been doing what they can to try and strengthen their name. I think it's hard with Harvard and BU right around the corner, that people just don't tend to think about them the same way. But I'll also say from personal experience, as an applicant, that I didn't like their program all that much.
Why not?

Two things. I found their administration to be very "Tufts" focused, as opposed to applicant focused. While many schools touted about the resources they have to get you through medical school and help you along the way, Tufts presentations seemed to be more about what applicants could do for themselves, leaving me wondering what kind of support they provide to their students.

The other thing was the personality of the students. Of the 5-10 students I interacted with on interview day, all said that they're favorite thing about Tufts was the P/F curriculum. While this in itself is a great opportunity, the reasons they gave were more about not having to focus on school, and one even said having more time to drink, as opposed to using that time for research, getting settled into a new place and home, etc. I guess I just didn't click with the vibes they were giving off as to their culture as a school.

Reactions: 1 user
Two things. I found their administration to be very "Tufts" focused, as opposed to applicant focused. While many schools touted about the resources they have to get you through medical school and help you along the way, Tufts presentations seemed to be more about what applicants could do for themselves, leaving me wondering what kind of support they provide to their students.

The other thing was the personality of the students. Of the 5-10 students I interacted with on interview day, all said that they're favorite thing about Tufts was the P/F curriculum. While this in itself is a great opportunity, the reasons they gave were more about not having to focus on school, and one even said having more time to drink, as opposed to using that time for research, getting settled into a new place and home, etc. I guess I just didn't click with the vibes they were giving off as to their culture as a school.

Interesting. Those seem like the answers I'd expect from Tufts students, from what I know about Tufts is it seems to be a little laid back.

It's a bit above average. Probably a bit better than Georgetown and a bit below Hofstra. My point is you can't determine the quality of a med school by looking up its undergraduate ranking.
Was unaware of Hofstra's medicine strength. Cool!