How hard is it to get an EM residency in the Army?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mberes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a thread about the AF, but let's hear from some Army guys. What are some typical scores, class rank, etc. I know it's hard to know definitely, but I would like to hear some scores from people who have actually gotten in.

Is it possible to get an EM residency in the Army without doing a GMO? What about an internship then reapplying?

Members don't see this ad.

There was a thread about the AF, but let's hear from some Army guys. What are some typical scores, class rank, etc. I know it's hard to know definitely, but I would like to hear some scores from people who have actually gotten in.

Is it possible to get an EM residency in the Army without doing a GMO? What about an internship then reapplying?

What exactly makes you think its much different in the Army? The main program is exactly the same as the main AF one.

How many Army emergency docs do you think post here?

It does sound like most army docs do their residency then their battalion surgeon tour afterward, so I suspect it is not only possible, but the most likely path for army emergency doc.

I am not an EM doc, so my advice is worth what you will pay for it. This info is gleaned from fellow EM docs I have met throughout the system.

The army has 3 EM programs, but only one of those programs it at a level I trauma center (BAMC). The other programs at MAMC and DAMC are level II trauma centers where the residents do significant numbers of outside rotations to meet their requirements.

BAMC is the most popular residency (no surprise), and its residents generally have the best credentials (top 25% of class, >230 USMLE I, good letters, sharp students and hard workers who would obviously thrive on rotations). MAMC is a good program and there are occasional residents who could have matched at BAMC but chose MAMC because of its location. Their residents do significant rotations in Seattle at civillian ERs. DAMC is a brand new program (3 years old) and the 1 or 2 residents I met from there struck me as mediocre students whose stats would have been below average in the civillian pool. I have no idea where these residents rotate (Scott and White?).

My year, the army granted around 5 civillian deferrals. People who know those students have told me they were very good students who would have fit in at BAMC and had the stats to match easily at upper tier civillian programs. Obviously, there are less deferrals now with the program open at DAMC, but it would not surprise me if 1-2 were offered each year.

There is always the possibility of going to GMOland to an EM residency, but I have met nobody who took that route. It all depends on the year one applies: if you are a great applicant and they absolutely can't find a spot for you, chances are you'll get a spot after coming back from GMOland (n.b. I don't think this happens in EM; it seems like all qualified applicants get a spot). If you are a crappy applicant you'll bide your time in GMOland and either GTFO or end up in a non-competetive residency at one of the smaller medcens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ziehl-Nielsen: Thanks for the info.

What scores for EM make you a competitive applicant? Board scores above 220? What about class rank? Do you have to be top 1/3 or is middle 1/3 okay?

Ziehl-Nielsen: Thanks for the info.

What scores for EM make you a competitive applicant? Board scores above 220? What about class rank? Do you have to be top 1/3 or is middle 1/3 okay?

No civilian deferrments in the Army the last few years.
Just to add to the info, the army added 3 paid EM slots at MCG so I think they are up to 29 slots. The Army's residencies were as competitive as civilian match. The programs are all highly rated and have their own strengths. Ft Hood has less to do off post, and several EM residents have told me they basically live in the suburbs of Austin and commute.