How hard is it to get in really?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gerrybrown82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how tough is it to get into medical school??? for a person with an average GPA of say 3.0 and science GPA of 3.2 and a MCAT of say 27..........i know there are stats and things like that but is it even worth trying or a waste of time........thanks ..

Members don't see this ad.

how tough is it to get into medical school??? For a person with an average gpa of say 3.0 and science gpa of 3.2 and a mcat of say 27..........i know there are stats and things like that but is it even worth trying or a waste of time........thanks ..

Unless you have incredible research/experiences/URM, it will be nearly impossible to get into an allopathic school.

Members don't see this ad :)
how tough is it to get into medical school??? for a person with an average GPA of say 3.0 and science GPA of 3.2 and a MCAT of say 27..........i know there are stats and things like that but is it even worth trying or a waste of time........thanks ..

you have 25 posts and 25 started threads.. come on dude

http://aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpagridall2007-09.pdf

According to the data, with a 27 MCAT and a 3.2 you'd have about a 27% chance of acceptance assuming the other parts of your application are well rounded.

I disagree with whoever said it would be impossible. I'm not trying to instill false hope (personally I wouldn't bother applying), but from the data you can see that a handful of people with really poor stats got in.

http://aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpagridall2007-09.pdf

According to the data, with a 27 MCAT and a 3.2 you'd have about a 27% chance of acceptance assuming the other parts of your application are well rounded.

I disagree with whoever said it would be impossible. I'm not trying to instill false hope (personally I wouldn't bother applying), but from the data you can see that a handful of people with really poor stats got in.

Yeah, but below a 30 MCAT for that GPA or a 3.9 GPA for that MCAT, you have to expect some pretty impressive extracurriculars - babies in Africa, research on a new vaccine, publications, hell of a PS; you get the idea.

Not impossible, just improbable.

Your only hope is a state school and/or a HBCU medical school. Even then, you would need to have exceptional EC's, or an extremely disadvantaged background. Your cGPA is very low, which would be your crutch for a poor MCAT. I suggest a Post-Bac program, or a masters and reapply again.

Simply being said, almost none. Only choice would be looking for alternate means of getting comeptitive such as SMP's or masters programs or retaking multiple classes for DO schools..

how tough is it to get into medical school??? For a person with an average gpa of say 3.0 and science gpa of 3.2 and a mcat of say 27..........i know there are stats and things like that but is it even worth trying or a waste of time........thanks ..
<----------------
<----------------
<----------------

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll have it pretty rough unless you are on your way to curing AIDS in Africa or there is a med school somewhere with your Dad's name on one of the buildings.

Like said above you can retake classes to pull your GPA up for DO schools, but you'd also have to shadow a DO dr.

If you want an MD school I suggest studying really hard and retaking the MCAT and also enrolling in an SMP or take more undergrad classes, such as some upper level sciences to get that GPA up. Taking some more time to do these things will also give you time to beef up your app in other ways, such as clinical experience and volunteering.

Nothing is impossible. Somehow, you ended up here, right?

That being said, I wouldn't count on it. Maybe the nursing school would take you...or Podiatry. I hear there's a need for "foot doctors" these days and they can do surgical procedures!

Perhaps if you slept with the entire adcom... and were really good in bed... but even then...

From one of your threads OP

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=686137

It looks like you have a .00006% chance of getting in. Impossible? No. Improbable? Yes.

If this whole medicine thing doesn't work out for you, think about becoming a UPS driver, a janitor, or a plumber :smuggrin:

EDIT:

in b4 OP commits suicide

kitty-suicide.jpg

Last edited:
From one of your threads OP

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=686137

It looks like you have a .00006% chance of getting in. Impossible? No. Improbable? Yes.

If this whole medicine thing doesn't work out for you, think about becoming a UPS driver, a janitor, or a plumber :smuggrin:

EDIT:

in b4 OP commits suicide
Well damn.

OP, may I suggest trucking school. But in all seriousness, your cGPA is not going to go over well with adcoms...

Have you even taken the MCAT yet? One of your posts says 30 and the other says 27. You can't really predict how you will score on it, so don't even bother making up "probable" scores.

I would suggest retaking the courses that you did poorly in to improve your GPA and then apply to mostly osteopathic schools + in-state allopathic schools the next cycle. Most osteopathic schools calculate your gpa based upon your best score for each class from what I have read.

Applications are very expensive. Use your money wisely by applying when your chances are better, imo.

Yeah, but below a 30 MCAT for that GPA or a 3.9 GPA for that MCAT, you have to expect some pretty impressive extracurriculars - babies in Africa, research on a new vaccine, publications, hell of a PS; you get the idea.

I have a baby in africa. Harvard here I come.

this entire thread just made me laugh so hard that it made my day... not laughing at the OP! I'm not that mean, but i love the replies lol

definitely very challenging but not as impossible as some of the posters on here say. I know, I was one of those individuals.

Retake the MCAT and do better. Take post-bacc classes once you graduate and ace them. Do some baller, unique ECs and show dedication. I know these things are much easier said than done, but you have a long road ahead.

And definitely go talk to a counselor or someone who knows what they're talking about.

:spam:

Our pre med advisor did a presentation my freshmen year with our school students who applied to medical schools and their profile, one student had exact stats except mcat 28 and was a urm, applied to 19 schools and didn't get in to any. I don't know what schools did he apply to and what kind of ECs he had. He did a post bac and applied to another 19 schools and got only one acceptance to HBCU.

EN

SoundofSilver has good advice. Nobody knows the answer to your question, really. Even an adcom only knows the answer for their own school. I'm pretty sure, though, that if I were you I would not waste the time, money, and heartache on an app cycle with those stats. I would do a post-bacc or a SMP, or a post-bacc then a SMP, then take a full semester off to study for MCAT to maximize prep for getting >=30 the first time. Retaking the MCAT can be a death-spiral...

Or you can go offshore now and spend the time making up for that later, trying to get a residency. I would invest the time now, before the loans pile up.

One other thing, stating the obvious... You need to get all A's from here on out. B's or one C in a post-bacc science with your existing stats could be the end of the road.

OP, how old are you? Think tropical maybe, like Caribbean schools... Three of them have federal financial aid, and if you actually study and do well on your tests you can get into FP pretty easily I'm told... Go to the SD.com site and PM CaribMD... Their stats down there are like 2.9-3.1 GPA...

Electronegative, I need to ask... why do you end everyone of your posts with "EN"? I know its you, your screename or handle or whatever is right there. Why type it every time when you can put it in your signature? Are EN your real initials? Honestly, I'm just wondering.
Is it annoying? it's actually my initials. I guess I'll stop typing it.

EN :p

You can probably get into Princeton with those stats. :)

funny-pictures-turtle-is-disappointed.jpg