how hard is it to get into a compounding career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eptifibatide

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just trying to think of all the career options that don't require a residency, excluding working in a retail pharmacy (ie. walgreens, rite aid, cvs, etc.).

does anyone know if you need to specialize or do a residency in order to become a compounding pharmacist? is extra training/schooling involved? how hard is it to find a job?

Members don't see this ad.

PCCA is a good resource if you want to go into compounding.

i was just trying to think of all the career options that don't require a residency, excluding working in a retail pharmacy (ie. walgreens, rite aid, cvs, etc.).

does anyone know if you need to specialize or do a residency in order to become a compounding pharmacist? is extra training/schooling involved? how hard is it to find a job?

Usually the busy compounding pharmacies, techs do all the compounding the pharmacist just has to sign off on it. I always liked compounding but I don't see pharmacists doing it too much. Now that we have compounding pharmacies all around, ie Apothecary shop I love to send the customers there for questran compounds especially when i am busy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually the busy compounding pharmacies, techs do all the compounding the pharmacist just has to sign off on it. I always liked compounding but I don't see pharmacists doing it too much. Now that we have compounding pharmacies all around, ie Apothecary shop I love to send the customers there for questran compounds especially when i am busy.

Really? In NYS, only pharmacists can do compounding. However I do see techs doing IV. . . .

Your other option is to work for a compounding pharmacy and get the practical experience you need from there. Otherwise, PCCA or Gallipot are your best bets!