how hard is it to get into a compounding career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Eptifibatide

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i was just trying to think of all the career options that don't require a residency, excluding working in a retail pharmacy (ie. walgreens, rite aid, cvs, etc.).

does anyone know if you need to specialize or do a residency in order to become a compounding pharmacist? is extra training/schooling involved? how hard is it to find a job?
 
PCCA is a good resource if you want to go into compounding.
 
i was just trying to think of all the career options that don't require a residency, excluding working in a retail pharmacy (ie. walgreens, rite aid, cvs, etc.).

does anyone know if you need to specialize or do a residency in order to become a compounding pharmacist? is extra training/schooling involved? how hard is it to find a job?

Usually the busy compounding pharmacies, techs do all the compounding the pharmacist just has to sign off on it. I always liked compounding but I don't see pharmacists doing it too much. Now that we have compounding pharmacies all around, ie Apothecary shop I love to send the customers there for questran compounds especially when i am busy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Usually the busy compounding pharmacies, techs do all the compounding the pharmacist just has to sign off on it. I always liked compounding but I don't see pharmacists doing it too much. Now that we have compounding pharmacies all around, ie Apothecary shop I love to send the customers there for questran compounds especially when i am busy.

Really? In NYS, only pharmacists can do compounding. However I do see techs doing IV. . . .
 
Your other option is to work for a compounding pharmacy and get the practical experience you need from there. Otherwise, PCCA or Gallipot are your best bets!