How hard is it to get into a med program?

VeggieForce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apply to a medical program UMDNJ to become a doctor. Im in 11th grade and i going to take the SAT next Saturday. Im aiming for a 2200, but so far i cud only get 1900 on my practice SAT tests in the summer. Ive gone a long way from a 1510 to a 1900. But i want to get a 2200.

What are the min requirements to get into a med program?
how hard is it to get into the UMDNJ program?

Members don't see this ad.

Medical school is competitive, but don't let that deter you. Just do the best you can, work hard, stay focused, etc. Your most important goal now is to focus on your board exams, classes, applications, LORs, GPA, etc to present yourself in the best light possible.

I want to apply to a medical program UMDNJ to become a doctor. Im in 11th grade and i going to take the SAT next Saturday. Im aiming for a 2200, but so far i cud only get 1900 on my practice SAT tests in the summer. Ive gone a long way from a 1510 to a 1900. But i want to get a 2200.

What are the min requirements to get into a med program?
how hard is it to get into the UMDNJ program?

I would recommend looking into UHartford/UNECOM, it's reqs aren't horrific, NSU-COM I got in with 1340/1600. UMDNJ wants 1400/1600 and a 3.5/4. Look into Gannon/PCOM, Utica's BS/MD and BS/DO as well as St. Bonaventure. The UCONN BS/MD is a worth a look too. Minimums are a 3.0 and 1200, accepted average is probably >3.5, 1300/1600. I had a 2.5 UW, 4.85 W and a 1340/1600, I was accepted to the 8 year NSU BS/DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Minimum requirements for UMDNJ's BS/MD is 1400 M+CR SAT and top 10% in class rank.

The program is ridiculously competitive. As a reference, I had a 2250 SAT at a magnet high school which does not rank (Rutgers automatically classified all who went to my school as top 5% rank when giving out scholarships), had decent ECs, and did not even get an interview at UMDNJ.

Medical school is tough to get into. You're entire undergrad experience will consist of jumping through a number of flaming hoops and you can nail them all and still not get in. A quick search will give you plenty of info on what you need to do. Also check out the AAMC website for info. Unless you are applying for a BS/MD then you just need to worry about getting into college at this point. Talk to a pre-med advisor, find out what prereqs you need. Get as many As as you can (try to keep your GPA above a 3.5) and good luck.

Medical school is tough to get into. You're entire undergrad experience will consist of jumping through a number of flaming hoops and you can nail them all and still not get in. A quick search will give you plenty of info on what you need to do. Also check out the AAMC website for info. Unless you are applying for a BS/MD then you just need to worry about getting into college at this point. Talk to a pre-med advisor, find out what prereqs you need. Get as many As as you can (try to keep your GPA above a 3.5) and good luck.

I don't know if I'd say it's tough. The % of applicants who get accepted is probably a lot higher than you think (granted, many people loose hope before applying). It just requires consistency and determination. I don't know about that program specifically but I'm sure if you're capable of pulling a 1900 on the SAT you're fully capable of getting accepted to a medical school. Just keep working.

Is a BS/DDS or BS/DMD program just as hard to get into at a BS/MD program?

Is a BS/DDS or BS/DMD program just as hard to get into at a BS/MD program?

No they're not nearly as competitive. A few that come to mind UMDNJ, Farleigh-Dickinson-NYU CODM, Adelphi NYU CODM, University of Detroit Mercy, Nova Southeastern. A quick search is worthwhile. Where are you interested in geographically?

I'd prefer the east coast-NYU would be my first choice, but I don't plan on paying 400k + interest, so that might be out. Really, east coast or west coast, midwest doesn't interest me too much.
I hear that dental school is comparable in difficulty with medical school, even in acceptance, so why are less people applying for the BS/DDS-BS/DMD programs?

I'd prefer the east coast-NYU would be my first choice, but I don't plan on paying 400k + interest, so that might be out. Really, east coast or west coast, midwest doesn't interest me too much.
I hear that dental school is comparable in difficulty with medical school, even in acceptance, so why are less people applying for the BS/DDS-BS/DMD programs?
Farleigh Dickinson U
http://view.fdu.edu/default.aspx?id=1402
http://view.fdu.edu/default.aspx?id=1403
Howard 6 Year
Buffalo
http://www.sdm.buffalo.edu/programs/dds/alternate.html
Hartford
http://uhaweb.hartford.edu/premed/dentjointbs.html
Detroit Mercy
http://eng-sci.udmercy.edu/programs/sci/biology/programs/bs-dds/index.htm
Nova Southeastern
http://www.fcas.nova.edu/newstudents/dualadmissions/
FIU
http://www.fiu.edu/~biology/website/undergrad_seven.htm
UPacific

Ha thanks, but I'm just wondering why it is much easier to get into this program as compared to the medical track.

Ha thanks, but I'm just wondering why it is much easier to get into this program as compared to the medical track.

Dental school admissions has always been less competitive than medical school admissions.

I might add that UPenn Dental has its own BS/DDS program, and it is probably the most competitive one. Case Western has one also.

I'm currently a 4th year (woo-hoo!!) med student at George Washington Univ. in D.C. and I did GW's 7-year BA-MD (came with a nice 100k+ scholarship).

I got a BS in Bio, though it's set up for pre-med students who want to major in something like history, economics, etc. and don't want to feel pressured to major in biology or chemistry in order to get into med school.

I had a 3.85 UW, 4.4 W GPA and didn't study for the SAT and got a 1450/1600.

I think the key for a lot of these programs is that they want to know how you absolutely KNOW you want to be a doctor, so having plenty of clinical experience is more important than having the absolute highest grades. My high school in MD had a program that got us certified as nursing assistants and let us do internships with full patient care responsibilities at local hospitals. I got to stand in on open-heart surgery and lots of other procedures throughout 11-12th grade, and was able to work summers in a skilled nursing facility.

There was another student at my HS who had a 4.0 UW all through middle and high school, was in the Honor Society, president of various academic clubs, and got over a 1550/1600 on the SAT. He had absolutely no clinical experience and wasn't even offered an interview at GW.

Not saying grades aren't extremely important, but make sure to round out your app with GOOD clinical experience.

I don't know if I'd say it's tough. The % of applicants who get accepted is probably a lot higher than you think (granted, many people loose hope before applying). It just requires consistency and determination. I don't know about that program specifically but I'm sure if you're capable of pulling a 1900 on the SAT you're fully capable of getting accepted to a medical school. Just keep working.

Uh, a 1900 on the SAT means someone is capable of getting into medical school? I passed out on the SAT once at the end of one of the sections and left a bunch of questions blank, and afterwards for the rest of the test I felt like crap. I still ended up with a 2100. I can do way better than a 1900 and I don't feel like getting into medical school is going to be easy.

yeah... not the case... too bad that what you score on the SAT has very little correlation to how you will perform on the MCAT -- getting in to college and getting in to medical school are two COMPLETELY different things; med school surely being the more difficult one to gain acceptance to