How "hard" is it to get into an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I personally think you have little chance at an SMP with a 2.7 cGPA even with CC classes.
In the GPA repair path, I personally have no respect for CC at any level. IMO, they are less rigorous than 4yr university classes and do not demonstrate you can handle medical school or graduate school level sciences.
I am sure some SMPs hate less on CC than I, but I wouldn't hold much hope with a 2.7 cGPA from a 4yr and a 3.7+ from a CC.
Rocking the MCAT will certainly help tho.

I would save up and find a way to take them at a 4yr univ if possible - if you enroll as a 2nd bachelors degree student you do get some financial aid help IIRC

How many classes/units do you have and plan to take to bring that 2.7 up .5 to a 3.2? That seems like a substantial amount seeing that AMCAS doesn't count retakes as a replacement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats fine but did those kids have to do major GPA repair like you did?

Thats the whole key thing here is that you are trying to prove you can do hard science classes to get into med school or an SMP. CC do not demonstrate you can do that if you have a poor GPA to start with.

If you had a 3.6-3.7 cGPA and had to the prereqs and CC was the only option, then it is a very diff scenario then you are in.

You need the hardest classes you can get, and you need to rock them. And CC doesn't do that.

You cannot compare grads from UC San Fran to your scenario - its comparing apples to oranges

Yah; Triage rocking the MCAT is always a solid plan - it will demonstrate ability and help offset a poor cGPA.

But if you get a 28/29; you aren't doing yourself any favours (for US MD) and are essentially nailing your own coffin

Also 51 unit is a lot - is this at 4.0 as well? Do you think its likely you can get a 4.0 for essentially two years of classes after getting a 2.7 in 4 years?

It is NOT easy to get into a decent SMP, at least one that would do what you would want. Some of these programs, ie, U-Cinn, get 400+ applications for ~25 spots, and they tend to like people from good universities, and those with a good track record of producing solid students, even if their GPA is somewhat lower. If I were you, I would find a way to go a well-regarded school. There is no need to put additional roadblocks in your way, as you will likely be moving out of state anyways for an SMP.

Hey I think it might be a good idea for you to contact the program directors of the SMP's you're interested in. A lot of them have different ideas of what kind of students they want in their program, and if you explain to them upfront what your situation is they could probably help you out with regards to what type of classes you need to take/how well you need to do to be considered for their programs. A lot of program directors like helping people too, so just be persistent and show that you are going to bust your ass in the SMP and do whatever it takes to excel. It always helps to give the admissions people a better idea of who you are...so stay in touch with them.