How hard is it to get into TUCOM-NV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocDO

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how hard it is to get into TUCOM-NV? Do they have cut-off requirements for secondary? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

FutureDocDO said:
Does anyone know how hard it is to get into TUCOM-NV? Do they have cut-off requirements for secondary? Thank you.
I am sure it is similar as all the schools. Probably a cutoff GPA of 2.5 and I am not sure about MCAT scores. I was offered an interview with the following:
MCATS 27 24 25
GPA 3.6
sciGPA 3.4

Secondary fee is $100

they do have a pre-secondary requirement, but I do not know what it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason I am asking is because I got a rejection from them postmarked on June 17th, which is only one day after the April 2005 MCAT scores came out. I did mark that I retook it in April, but I don't know why they didn't wait for my score.

Anyone ever successful at appealing this sort of stuff where they don't wait for your retake score even though you marked on the primary that you retook it?

FutureDocDO said:
The reason I am asking is because I got a rejection from them postmarked on June 17th, which is only one day after the April 2005 MCAT scores came out. I did mark that I retook it in April, but I don't know why they didn't wait for my score.

Anyone ever successful at appealing this sort of stuff where they don't wait for your retake score even though you marked on the primary that you retook it?

Have you contacted the admissions department? Specifically Roger Corbman?

My friend was trying to apply and he got automatically rejected because he's an international student ... they confirmed it was because he's international. So if that's the case with you, that should explain. Otherwise, you should contact admissions - they're very good about filling you in and won't leave you in the dark.

box29 said:
Have you contacted the admissions department? Specifically Roger Corbman?

Yes, but then he told me that if I have a 23 or above he'd put me back on the list and send me the secondary. Unfortunately, I don't. Only a 20Q. It's low I know but I know people have gotten in for the class of 2005 with 19's and 20's so obviously no cut-offs? Kinda wierd. My sci GPA is 3.41 and overall is 3.42. Oh well.

FutureDocDO said:
Yes, but then he told me that if I have a 23 or above he'd put me back on the list and send me the secondary. Unfortunately, I don't. Only a 20Q. It's low I know but I know people have gotten in for the class of 2005 with 19's and 20's so obviously no cut-offs? Kinda wierd. My sci GPA is 3.41 and overall is 3.42. Oh well.

I don't know about the school's specific requirements, but I seriously doubt that they would readily accept people with very low MCAT scores. Although I've heard of both M.D and D.O schools occasionally accepting students with 19-20 MCAT scores, most admission’s committees will not consider you unless you have an extremely high GPA, along with a very strong application.

frank51 said:
I don't know about the school's specific requirements, but I seriously doubt that they would readily accept people with very low MCAT scores. Although I've heard of both M.D and D.O schools occasionally accepting students with 19-20 MCAT scores, most admission’s committees will not consider you unless you have an extremely high GPA, along with a very strong application.

This is true. The GPA cutoff I believe is 2.75. If they told you 23 MCAT then that would be the cutoff. The OP made the cutoff GPA with a 3.4 which is average or slightly below the average GPA. However, the 20Q MCAT is really low. With that MCAT I would think a higer GPA of 3.8 or 3.9 might be looked at differently, but then again, I don't know how adcoms operate. As for the incoming class of 2009, the admissions committee and deans decide who is accepted, waitlisted, and rejected. How they adhere to the cutoffs is at their discretion and may not be the same for the next application cycle. So the manner in which decisions were made for the class of 2009 may not exactly be the same for the class of 2010.

Good Luck with the app cycle! Don't give up!

Thanks for responding. I know there's not much hope with a 20Q, but I'm only risking a couple of hundred bucks to see how much luck is on my side. :)

A 20Q on the MCAT is pretty low. What are your breakdowns? Are the scores divided out evenly? I'd apply anyways if I were you, if you wanted to get in for next year. I'd plan to take the August MCAT though and let the school know that I'm taking it. In the case if you were granted for a secondary application, then do everything that you can to show your strong areas on there and hide weaknesses without faking it. Then, the best of best is if you were granted for an interview, although the chance is slim, try to schedule it after you have your August MCAT score out. If your MCAT did improve, then it will be a valuable thing to mention it during the interview. All in all, Touro-NV is a new school, the chance of getting in is better than any of the older schools, but the premise is to apply early. If you show your passion that you really want to go there and have your MCAT score improved by then, I think you always have a good chance.

Doctor G said:
A 20Q on the MCAT is pretty low. What are your breakdowns? Are the scores divided out evenly? I'd apply anyways if I were you, if you wanted to get in for next year. I'd plan to take the August MCAT though and let the school know that I'm taking it. In the case if you were granted for a secondary application, then do everything that you can to show your strong areas on there and hide weaknesses without faking it. Then, the best of best is if you were granted for an interview, although the chance is slim, try to schedule it after you have your August MCAT score out. If your MCAT did improve, then it will be a valuable thing to mention it during the interview. All in all, Touro-NV is a new school, the chance of getting in is better than any of the older schools, but the premise is to apply early. If you show your passion that you really want to go there and have your MCAT score improved by then, I think you always have a good chance.

PS 7, BS 7, VR 6 Update: Touro-NV has decided to retract my rejection letter.

FutureDocDO said:
Update: Touro-NV has decided to retract my rejection letter.

They're cool like that... they are great people over there. Congrats :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
OnMyWayThere said:
They're cool like that... they are great people over there. Congrats :thumbup:

Indeed they are. I'll bump them up my cool list if I get an acceptance!

FutureDocDO said:
PS 7, BS 7, VR 6 Update: Touro-NV has decided to retract my rejection letter.

Nice! How did you get them to retract your letter?

what did u ask/tell him that got him to retract it?
so are you waitlisted now? join the crew!

gl w/ everything!

lktm831 said:
what did u ask/tell him that got him to retract it?
so are you waitlisted now? join the crew!

gl w/ everything!

This is my first time applying. It was a pre-secondary rejection that I got them to retract. Exceptionally nice admission coordinator I'd tell yah.

mx_599 said:
I am sure it is similar as all the schools. Probably a cutoff GPA of 2.5 and I am not sure about MCAT scores. I was offered an interview with the following:
MCATS 27 24 25
GPA 3.6
sciGPA 3.4

Secondary fee is $100

Did you take the MCAT 3 times? why if 27 is probably a good score for DO schools?

MonaLisa....DO schools usually have an average accepting MCAT score of 25....so 27 is acceptable.

DAMN!! HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET SECONDARIES?!?! I mean my stuff was sent out on the 23rd of June....it's almost 2 weeks now.... ARGGG!

Lady Tokimi said:
MonaLisa....DO schools usually have an average accepting MCAT score of 25....so 27 is acceptable.

DAMN!! HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET SECONDARIES?!?! I mean my stuff was sent out on the 23rd of June....it's almost 2 weeks now.... ARGGG!

What schools did you apply to? Does your status show that the apps have been sent out to schools yet?

mx_599 said:
MCATS 27 24 25
GPA 3.6
sciGPA 3.4

Secondary fee is $100

sade; smooth operator

Lady Tokimi said:

Just curious -- how do you know the ave mcat score for DO schools? Apologies if it's been talked about recently...

-pitman

pitman said:
Just curious -- how do you know the ave mcat score for DO schools? Apologies if it's been talked about recently...

-pitman

You may subscribe to the premium edition of the US News and World Report
Graduate Guide. There is a link to the hardest and easiest schools to
matriculate at in the premium edition.
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/rankguide/rghome.htm

There also is older information in the Barron's, Princeton, and other medical
school guide books.

Touro Mare Island actually publishes demographic data on their website
which includes the average GPA and MCAT scores for a particular year.
Click on the "TUCOM Demographics" link
http://www.tucom.edu/admissions.htm

Hi--
Anyone know how TUCOM (either CA ot NV) handles multiple MCAT sittings? I have a 20S from Aug 2004 and then a 22T from April 2005, but if you take the highest scores from each I have a 23T, which an above poster said was the minimum for a secondary (the 23 that is, not sure how the high WS plays in). I was contemplating adding the TUCOM schools to my designated listing (I have since heard very positive things about the schools, which has gotten me interested in their programs).

I have a 3.81 GPA overall (Science 3.80), from MA, extensive biomedical research with pubs, multiple honors/grants/awards, many jobs simultaneously to pay for college myself, exec boards of chem/pre-med clubs, ..., the usual good stuff, you know.

Just wondering how that MCAT is handled...it really is the ONLY rocky part of my app, and I am somewhat pensive about it. I am applying to a LOT of schools, just to ensure I get as many chances as possible.

Thanks...let me know about that multiple MCAT situation. Good luck with the 2ndaries to all!

Ryan.

RyanS32122 said:
Hi--
Anyone know how TUCOM (either CA ot NV) handles multiple MCAT sittings? I have a 20S from Aug 2004 and then a 22T from April 2005, but if you take the highest scores from each I have a 23T, which an above poster said was the minimum for a secondary (the 23 that is, not sure how the high WS plays in). I was contemplating adding the TUCOM schools to my designated listing (I have since heard very positive things about the schools, which has gotten me interested in their programs).

I have a 3.81 GPA overall (Science 3.80), from MA, extensive biomedical research with pubs, multiple honors/grants/awards, many jobs simultaneously to pay for college myself, exec boards of chem/pre-med clubs, ..., the usual good stuff, you know.

Just wondering how that MCAT is handled...it really is the ONLY rocky part of my app, and I am somewhat pensive about it. I am applying to a LOT of schools, just to ensure I get as many chances as possible.

Thanks...let me know about that multiple MCAT situation. Good luck with the 2ndaries to all!

Ryan.

If you want a definite answer, your best bet is to email the director of admissions at both schools. They're both awesome people who will answer you question right away via email. My guess though is that they take the last one, not best from each section of each MCAT

RyanS32122 said:
Hi--
Anyone know how TUCOM (either CA ot NV) handles multiple MCAT sittings? I have a 20S from Aug 2004 and then a 22T from April 2005, but if you take the highest scores from each I have a 23T, which an above poster said was the minimum for a secondary (the 23 that is, not sure how the high WS plays in).

I don't think any med school would calculate your MCAT score that way.

Some schools actually take the highest scores out of however many tests you take. But I don't know about TUCOM... Think you just have to call the office and see how they deal with things. GL